"RENWICK, a parish and township in Leath ward, county Cumberland, 11 miles N.E. of Penrith, its post town, and 3 N.E. of Kirkoswald. The village, which is of a straggling appearance, is situated on the W. side of Thackmoor Fell, and is chiefly agricultural. The soil is of a loamy nature, with a subsoil of gravel and sand. About a third of the land is arable, and the remainder stunted meadow and mountain pasture. The tithes were commuted for land under an Enclosure Act in 1814."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Renwick from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.