"Is bounded on the north-east by Kirklinton and Irthington, on the north-west by Kirklinton, on the south-west by Stanwix and on the south-east by Irthington and Crosby-upon-Eden. Lengthwise the parish extends about five miles, but its average breadth is little more than one mile. It is divided into the townships of Scaleby East and Scaleby West, whose united area is about 3,464 acres. In 1307, Robert de Tilliol received the King's license to convert his manor house into a castle which has been considerably modernized by subsequent restorations." [Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
"The church, dedicated to All Saints, is of unknown foundation; nor has any record been met with to indicate the period of its erection, though the amazing strength of the tower is suggestive of the Edwardian era. The church underwent a thorough restoration in 1861 and, in 1863, a rectory house was built." (Extract from Bulmer's 1884 History & Directory, cited above)
Scaleby fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.