"SEBERGHAM, a parish in the ward and county of Cumberland, 10 miles S. of Carlisle, its post town, 7 S.E. of Wigton, and 6 from the Dalston station on the Carlisle and Maryport line of railway. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated at the bridge over the river Caldew, which is also crossed about a mile lower down by another bridge of one arch built in 1772. The southern branch of the stream becomes subterraneous at Haltcliffe Bridge, and re-issues at Hives Hill mill, about 3 miles distant."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Sebergham from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.