"SETMURTHY, a township and chapelry in the parish of Brigham, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 4 miles N.E. of Cockermouth. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. About two-thirds of the land are in pasture, and the remainder arable and woodland. The waste lands were enclosed under an Act of Parliament in 1812. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £48. The church was built in 1794. There is a school, for the endowment of which 60 acres of land were allotted at the enclosure of the parish."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]