"SKELTON, a parish in the ward of Leath, county Cumberland, 6½ miles N.W. of Penrith, its post town and railway station, and 14 from Wigton. The village is chiefly agricultural. The soil is damp, with a subsoil of clay, freestone, and limestone. The parish contains the townships of Lamonby and Unthank. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £294, in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Oxford."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Skelton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.