ST. BEES, Cumberland
"ST. BEES, (or Kirkby Beacock), a parish in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 3 miles to the N. W. of Egremont. It is situated near the coast of the Irish Sea, along which it extends about 10 miles, and was the largest parish in the county until recently, when Loweswater was constituted a parochial chapelry, with independent jurisdiction. It contains the chapelries of Ennerdale, Eskdale, Hensingham, Nether Wasdale, Wasdale Head, and Whitehaven; and the townships of Kinniside, Lowside-Quarter, Preston-Quarter, Rottington, Sandwith, and Weddiker."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for St Bees from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- The Welcome to St Bees site has a wide range of items of interest, in particular its History section, which provides 'the story of St Bees from its early beginnings'.