STAPLETON, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"STAPLETON, a parish in the ward of Eskdale, county Cumberland, 9 miles S.E. of Longtown, and 8 N. of Brampton. The village is considerable, and is situated on the river Line, or Leven, over which is abridge. The - parish, which is large, comprises the townships of Belbank, Solport, Stapleton, and Trough. The subsoil contains coal and limestone. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle, value £98. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt in 1830. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. The Earl of Carlisle is lord of the manors of Stapleton, Belbank, and Trough. On the N. bank of the river are remains of Shank Castle." "BELLBANK, a township in the parish of Stapleton, Eskdale ward, in the county of Cumberland, 7 miles to the N. of Brampton. It is near the river Line." "SOLPORT, a township in the parish of Stapleton, ward of Eskdale, county Cumberland, 7 miles N.W. of Brampton." "TROUGH, a township in the parish of Stapleton, ward of Eskdale, county Cumberland, 9 miles N.E. of Longtown, and 13 from Brampton."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]