"Stapleton is encompassed by Nichol Forest, and the parishes of Bewcastle, Lanercost, Kirklinton, Arthuret and Walton. It comprises the townships of Belbank, Soloport, Stapleton and Trough although the people live in dispersed dwellings scattered over the parish, there being no village or hamlet containing more then ten or a dozen houses. It extends about three miles by five and lies about eight miles North from Brampton."
[Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
- There are no record repositories within the parish. Information on County Record Offices and Libraries generally may be found on our Cumberland Archives and Libraries web page. Additional records are at the University of Durham - Library Archives and Special Collections.
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
- The Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society have addressed Stapleton in many volumes, issued annually since 1866.
- "The parish church is dedicated to St. Mary and stands near the center of the township. It stands on an ancient foundation,. a new edifice erected in 1830 on the site of the old church. In the churchyard stands a tombstone inscribed: Here lies Robert (Hob) Forrester, of Stanegarthside, 1598. (Extract from Bulmer's 1884 History & Directory, cited above)
- Parish Records on "Cumberland Roots" (archived site) - include Stapleton. Added 10 May 2006.
- The following church records are available at the Carlisle office of the
Cumbria Archive Service: Church of England (CRO Reference PR11):
Baptisms Marriage Banns Burial Bishops Trans 1771-1923 1776-1983 1776-1974 1771-1961 1665-1889
- Beginning 1 July 1837, births, deaths and marriages, regardless of religious affiliation, were recorded with Civil Registration Offices in Cumbria, as in the rest of England. Copies of certificates recording these events may be purchased.
- The transcription of the section for Stapleton from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Stapleton fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.