THORN THWAITE, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"THORN THWAITE, a township and chapelry in the parish of Crosthwaite, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 4 miles N.W. of Keswick, its post town. The village is situated near Bassenthwaite Water, with a fine prospect of Skiddaw and the lakes from Thornthwaite Fell. The manufacture of woollen cloth is carried on to a small extent. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £140, in the patronage of the Vicar of Crosthwaite, and the Incumbent of St. John's, Keswick. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, stands at a short distance from the head of Bassenthwaite Lake; it has been enlarged. The trustees of the late John Marshall, Esq., are lords of the manor."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]