"THWAITES, a chapelry in the parish of Millom, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 4 miles from Broughton, in Lancashire, its post town, and 10 S.E. of Ravenglass. The chapelry includes the hamlets of Duddon Bridge, Hall Thwaites, and Lady Hall. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £115, in the patronage of landowners. The church is dedicated to St. Anne. There is a Druidical temple at Swineside, about 2 miles from the church."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]