"TORPENHOW, a parish in the hundred of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 7 miles S. of Wigton, its post town, 2½ N.W. of Ireby, and 3½ from the Leigate station on the Maryport and Carlisle line of railway. It is situated near the river Ellen, and about a mile to the E. of the Carlisle and Cockermouth turnpike road. The parish is divided into the four townships of Bewaldeth and Snittlegarth, Blennerhasset and Kirkland, Bothel and Threapland, and Torpenhow and Whitrigg."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Torpenhow from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.