"ULPHA, a chapelry in the parish of Millom, ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 9 miles S.E. of Ravenglass, and 3½ from Broughton-in-Furness railway station. It is situated on the river Dudden, near Hard Knot and Wrynose fells, where is a stone marking the boundaries of the counties of Cumberland, Westmoreland, and Lancaster, from the latter of which it is divided by the ancient one-arched stone bridge, which here spans the river."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Ulpha from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.