Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"Is about two miles in length and one and a half in breadth, and is bounded on the north and east by the river Eden, and on the south and west by the parish of Wetheral. It is divided into two townships, Aglionby and Warwick, whose united area is 1,858 acres, rateable value £3,858, and population 320. The soil is rich and fertile, consisting principally of sand or loam." [Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
- The Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society:
- The Parish of Warwick, T.H.B. Graham, 1912, N.S. Vol. 13.
- "The Church, dedicated to St. Leonard, is of unknown foundation but evidently of considerable antiquity. It was rebuilt about fourteen years ago, but the most remarkable feature of the old church has been retained in the present building, that is the semicircular chancel end, on the exterior of which are thirteen narrow niches, measuring ten feet eight inches in height and seventeen inches in width, and reaching almost to the ground. In three of them small windows are inserted. This was a very unusual feature in the English churches erected in those days ; but Pugin and one or two other architects have made occasional use of it in later times. The benefice was a rectory, and was given by Ranulph de Meschines to the Abbey of St. Mary, at York, but was granted after the dissolution of religious houses, to the dean and Chapter of Carlisle, who annexed the living to that of Wetheral, and the rector of Wetheral has ever since held the two conjointly." (Extract from Bulmer's 1884 History & Directory, cited above)
- The following church records are available at the Carlisle office of the Cumbria Archive Service: Church of England (CRO Reference: PR42)
|Baptisms ||Marriage ||Banns ||Burial ||Bishops Trans |
|1684-1908 ||1701-1984 ||1754-1844 ||1684-1914 ||1666-1890 |
- Beginning 1 July 1837, births, deaths and marriages, regardless of religious affiliation, were recorded with Civil Registration Offices in Cumbria, as in the rest of England. Copies of certificates recording these events may be purchased.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Warwick which are provided by:
- A Description of Warwick transcribed from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884 by Don Noble.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NY466565 (Lat/Lon: 54.900380, -2.834251), Warwick which are provided by:
[Page originated by Don Noble on 24 Nov 1997 and updated 12 Jun 1999 - Don Noble]
- Warwick fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.