"WATERMILLOCK, a chapelry in the parish of Greystoke, ward of Leith, county Cumberland, 7½ miles S.W. of Penrith, its post town, and 6 from Greystoke. It is situated on the northern bank of Ulleswater Lake, near Gowbarrow Park, in which are the Airey Force Cascade and Lyulph's Tower. The chapelry includes the hamlet of Thackenthwaite. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the slate-pencil and bobbin mills. The reverberation of the hills on the discharge of a gun produces a sound nearly resembling thunder."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Watermillock from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.