WESTWARD, Cumberland - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
"WESTWARD, a parish and large village in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 3 miles S.E. of Wigton. At Curthwaite is a station of the Carlisle and Maryport railway, which passes to the N.E. of the village. This place derives its name from its situation in the great forest of Inglewood, of which it formed the western ward, under the charge of the forester. The parish, which comprises the townships of Brocklebank, Stoneraise, Rosley, and Woodside, is bounded on the E. by the Wampool river, and on the S. by the headstream of the river Waver. There are extensive quarries of limestone, red freestone, and slate, and several seams of cannel and other coal. The soil is of strong clay and loam, with sand in Woodside Quarter. The land, which is in a high state of cultivation, chiefly belongs to General Wyndham, who is lord of the manor, and Sir Wastel Brisco, Bart. About a mile from the church is a farmhouse called Isle Kirk Hall, or Hildkirk, from a hermitage which formerly stood here, dedicated to St. Hilda, and which was given by King John to the abbey of Holme-Cultram. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Carlisle, value £130, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. Thee dedication of the church, situated in the township of Stoneraise, is unknown. An additional church was erected in 1840. The parochial charities produce about £10 per annum, including £7 for support of a school. At Old Carlisle, about 1½ mile N. of the village, is the site of an extensive Roman station on the Roman road from Carlisle (anciently Lugovallum) to Ellenborough (anciently Volantium), which Horsley supposes to have been the Olenacum of the Notitia, where the Ala Herculea and Ala Augusta were stationed. The walls include a quadrilateral area, 170 yards long by 120 broad, with obtuse angles, and surrounded by a double ditch, within which sacrificial instruments, images, statues, altars, coins, and other antiquities have been found. Fairs for horses, sheep, and cattle are held at Rosley on the 21st April and third Monday in October." "BROCKLEBANK, a township in the parish of Westward, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, in the county of Cumberland, 5 miles to the S. of Wigton. It lies near Brocklebank Fell, and is joined with Stoneraise." "ROSLEY, a township in the parish of Westward, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 5 miles S.E. of Wigton, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on an acclivity, and is celebrated for its extensive horse, cattle, and sheep fairs, which occur every alternate Monday, commencing from Whitsuntide and lasting till All Saints' Day." "STONERAISE, a township in the parish of Westward, ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 6 miles S.E. of Wigton. It is situated on the river Wampool, and is in conjunction with Brocklebank to form a township." "WOODSIDE, a township in the parish of Westward, county Cumberland, 2 miles N.W. of Temple-Sowerby, and 4 S.E. of Wigton, at the confluence of the rivers Eden and Eamont."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]