"WESTWARD, a parish and large village in the ward of Allerdale-below-Derwent, county Cumberland, 3 miles S.E. of Wigton. At Curthwaite is a station of the Carlisle and Maryport railway, which passes to the N.E. of the village. This place derives its name from its situation in the great forest of Inglewood, of which it formed the western ward, under the charge of the forester. The parish, which comprises the townships of Brocklebank, Stoneraise, Rosley, and Woodside, is bounded on the E. by the Wampool river, and on the S. by the headstream of the river Waver."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Westward from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.