"Stretches along both sides of the Eden, through the most picturesque part of the vale, a distance of about six miles, and has a breadth of from one and a half to three and a half miles. It is bounded on the east by the parishes of Hayton and Cumwhitton, on the west by St. Cuthbert's and St. Mary's, Carlisle, on the north by Warwick, and on the south by Wreay and Hesket. The soil is in general fertile and. well cultivated. … The parish is divided into four townships: Great Corby and Warwick Bridge, Cumwhinton and Cotehill, Scotby, and Wetheral."
[Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884]
- There are no record repositories within the parish. Information on County Record Offices and Libraries generally may be found on our Cumberland Archives and Libraries web page. Additional records are at the University of Durham - Library Archives and Special Collections.
- History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Manchester, 1884.
- The Transactions of the Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society:
- The Priory of Wetheral, J.H. Martindale, 1921, N.S. Vol. 22.
- An account of the Church History of Wetheral, transcribed from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884 by Don Noble.
The following church records are available at the Carlisle office of the
Cumbria Archive Service:
Church of England (CRO Reference: PR43)
Baptisms Marriage Banns Burial Bishops Trans 1674-1965 1674-1992 1754-1947 1674-1890 1665-1890 Baptisms Marriage Burial 1766-1948 1769-1991 1770-1975 Baptisms 1889-1964 Baptisms 1979-1986
- Beginning 1 July 1837, births, deaths and marriages, regardless of religious affiliation, were recorded with Civil Registration Offices in Cumbria, as in the rest of England. Copies of certificates recording these events may be purchased.
- A Description of Wetheral transcribed from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884 by Don Noble.
- The transcription of the section for Wetheral from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- An account of some History of Wetheral, transcribed from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of East Cumberland, 1884 by Don Noble.
- Wetheral fell under the authority of the ancient diocese of Carlisle and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Carlisle. Comprehensive indexes exist, at the Carlisle CRO, in card files easily accessible in the reading room. The indexes cover from 1617 to 1941, listing the year of probate and the residence of the deceased. This is extraordinarily helpful in distinguishing between many individuals of the same name. Microfilm of many of these records, and a partial typescript of the indexes, is available at the Kendal office of the CRO.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.