"WHICHAM, a parish in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 9 miles S.E. of Ravenglass. The parish stretches between the river Dudden and the sea-coast. The surface is mountainous, and the substratum contains iron ore, which is worked. Nearly two-thirds of the land are in common and waste. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £250. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. At Churchgate, in this parish, is a grammar school, founded by Queen Elizabeth, and supported by grant of £16 per annum out of the exchequer."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]