WHITEHAVEN, Holy Trinity
- History, Topography and Directory of Cumberland, 1901,
T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Penrith, 1901.
- "Holy Trinity church, a large plain structure, was built in 1715 by James Lowther,
Esq., and the inhabitants. The church terminates at one end in a semi-circular apse, in which
stands the communion table. This recess, which forms the chancel, is lighted by a massive
stained glass window, on which is depicted the Resurrection of Our Lord; and on the other
side is a memorial window; one presented by Capt. Dixon, and the other by the Grisdale
family. A new and massive font was placed in the church in 1876, in memory of the late Mrs.
Dalton. There are also several mural monuments, commemorative of various local families; one,
near the tower, is of marble, and records the death of Sir James Lowther, in 1755, the fourth
and last baronet of this branch of the family. In 1895-6, the building was restored, and the
interior fitted with electric light."
(Extract from Bulmer's 1901 History & Directory, cited above)
- The following church records are available at the Whitehaven office of the
Cumbria Archive Service:
Church of England (CRO Reference: PR84)
- Beginning 1 July 1837, births, deaths and marriages, regardless of religious affiliation,
were recorded with Civil Registration Offices in Cumbria,
as in the rest of England. Copies of certificates recording these events may be purchased.
[Page originated by Don Noble in 1997 and updated 12 Jun 1999 - Don Noble]
- Holy Trinity fell under the authority of the diocese of Preston
and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there.
Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration
and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years
before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Whitehaven.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including
this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one
diocese within the province would have their will proved in the
Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes
in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records
are now deposited with York University,
Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our
England - Probate page.
However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available
1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.