"St. James Church was erected in 1752 and occupies an elevated situation at the top of Queen Street, where its massive tower, though not boasting any great altitude, forms a conspicuous object. In style of architecture it is similar to Holy Trinity and possesses no features that call for special notice." (Extract from Bulmer's 1901 History & Directory, cited above)
Holy Trinity fell under the authority of the diocese of Preston and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there. Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Whitehaven.
The Province of York covered most of northern England, including this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one diocese within the province would have their will proved in the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records are now deposited with York University, Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our England - Probate page. However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available 1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.
[Page originated by Don Noble in 1997 and updated 12 Jun 1999 - Don Noble]