WHITEHAVEN, St James
- History, Topography and Directory of Cumberland, 1901,
T.F. Bulmer, T.Bulmer & Co., Penrith, 1901.
- "St. James Church was erected in 1752 and occupies an elevated situation
at the top of Queen Street, where its massive tower, though not boasting any great
altitude, forms a conspicuous object. In style of architecture it is similar to Holy Trinity
and possesses no features that call for special notice."
(Extract from Bulmer's 1901 History & Directory, cited above)
- The following church records are available at the Whitehaven office of the
Cumbria Archive Service:
Church of England (CRO Reference PR82)
- Beginning 1 July 1837, births, deaths and marriages, regardless of religious affiliation,
were recorded with Civil Registration Offices in Cumbria,
as in the rest of England. Copies of certificates recording these events may be purchased.
[Page originated by Don Noble in 1997 and updated 12 Jun 1999 - Don Noble]
- Holy Trinity fell under the authority of the diocese of Preston
and wills prior to 1858 were proved in the consistory court there.
Records from 1548 to 1858 include original wills, letters of administration
and inventories, although there are significant gaps in the years
before 1661. These are deposited with the CRO at Whitehaven.
- The Province of York covered most of northern England, including
this parish, and anyone who died leaving property in more than one
diocese within the province would have their will proved in the
Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York (PCY) or sometimes
in the Chancery Court of the Archbishop of York. These records
are now deposited with York University,
Borthwick Institute of Historical Research.
- For probate from 1858 on, and general information, see our
England - Probate page.
However please note registered copy probate records for Cumberland are also available
1858-1941 at the Record Office in Carlisle.
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.