Link to maps of Whitehaven (GENUKI)

WHITEHAVEN, Cumberland

"The town Whitehaven is a large and important seaport, market town, and municipal and Parliamentary borough on the Irish sea, about three miles to the north of the lofty promontory of St. Bees Head. The town is built around a small creek or inlet, which forms the harbour and is overlooked on the other sides by green hills which rise abruptly from the outskirts of the town. … In 1633 Whitehaven was still an obscure village of some nine thatched cottages, whose name was scarcely known beyond the precincts of the parish. It was about this period the manor became the property of the Lowthers of Westmorland, and they were not slow to detect the value of the immense beds of coal in the locality."

[Description from T. Bulmer & Co's History, Topography and Directory of Cumberland, 1901]

 

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

Directories

Gazetteers

Probate Records

WHITEHAVEN PARISHES

[Page originated by Don Noble in 1997 and updated 12 Jun 1999 - Don Noble]