"WORKINGTON, a parish, seaport, and market town in the ward of Allerdale-above-Derwent, county Cumberland, 32 miles S.W. of Carlisle, 7 N.E. of Cockermouth, and 5 S.W. of Maryport. It has stations on the Cockermouth and Workington and Whitehaven junction branches of the London and North-Western railway. The parish contains, besides the town of Workington, the townships of Great and Little Clifton, Stainburn, and Winscales. It is bounded on the W. by the Irish Sea, on the S.E. by the river Maron, and on the N. by the Derwent, which is here crossed by a bridge of three arches."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Workington from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.