"WREAY, a chapelry in the parish of Carlisle St. Mary, ward and county of Cumberland, 6 miles S.E. of Carlisle. It is a station on the Lancaster and Carlisle section of the London and North-Western railway. The village is situated on the river Petterill, and is a meet for the Carlisle harriers. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Carlisle, value £90, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. There is a school, founded and partially endowed in 1760, by J. Brown."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of
Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]