"WYTHBURN, a chapelry and hamlet in the parish of Crosthwaite, county Cumberland, 8 miles S.E. of Keswick. It forms a joint township with St. John's Castlerigg, and contains a small hamlet called the City, and the mere or lake of Thirle, sometimes named Wythburn Water."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
- The transcription of the section for Wythburn from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.