Once called Antony-in-East, Antony St Jacob, and East Antony; it has also been called Antony-by-Rame. The parish is now just called 'Antony' (Cornish: Anta). It is situated in the Hundred and Deanery of East, and is separated from the town of Devonport by the river
Hamoaze. It is bounded on the north by the River Lynher and St German creek,
east by Hamoaze, south-east by St John's Lake, south by the parish of St John
and Whitesand Bay, and on the west by Sheviock.
The parish is named
after the saint and possibly Anta's Farm, and was mentioned in the Domesday
Survey of 1086. The village is situated in the South East corner of Cornwall to
the immediate West of the River Tamar. It is called Antone in the
Domesday Book of 1086. Antony is in the Caradon district near to the mouth of
the River Tamar. The new parish of Torpoint lies in the south-east corner of
the older Antony parish. The area is mainly farmland to the West and the town
of Torpoint lies in the east of the parish, and Torpoint parish was created from Antony in
1819. There are two forts in the parish, Scraesdon Fort and Tregantle Fort, the
latter is currently used as a base camp for the adjacent military firing
No Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church are known to have been
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1851 Census of Antony with Torpoint (HO107/1900), Enumeration
Districts 5a, 5b [including Workhouses], 5c, and 5d, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Antony is listed in Volume
8. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Antony, St Jacob (RG9/1523) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Antony, St Jacob (RG10/2229) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Antony (RG11/2280), Enumeration
Districts 9 and 10 [including Merchant Shipping],is available on-line from the Cornwall
On-line Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Antony (RG12/1806), Enumeration
Districts 9 and 10,is available on-line from the Cornwall
On-line Census project.
- Anglican. The parish church
is located in OS Grid Square SX398546.
The elegant church, with its
spire, was dedicated to St James (the Great) on 14th October 1259. The present
church is thought to have been built around 1420. It is situated on an eminence
above the village, and the ascent to it is by three or four flights of granite
steps. It is divided into chancel, nave, north and south aisles. The arcades
are of Tudor arches of Granite, the pillars are of the same material and
chiefly monolith. The church was completely renovated in the middle of the 19th
century. The old bench ends in the church have been incorporated into the
pulpit and the stalls in the chancel. There is also an attractive monumental
brass of 1428 to Lady Majorie Arundell, who is thought to have been the first
person to be interred in it.
There is another Anglican Church (formerly a chapelry) at Merrifield. The building is small and plain in the Decorated style consisting of a chancel, nave, transept and a north aisle. There are several stained-glass windows.
- Non-Conformist. The arrangements for Non-Conformists in this parish are not known.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1678 - 1861, Burials 1678 - 1925,
Marriages 1678 - 1866, Boyd's Marriage Index 1606 - 1664, BTs 1608 - 1664, Non-Conformist records 1815 - 1837.
- Baptisms 1608 to 1807, and 1677 to 1781 (Bishop's Transcripts), are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- (See the on-line parish records for the Rame peninsular parishes).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1685 to 1842 for this parish.
- The Plymouth Record Office holdings: Antony Wesleyan Methodist Baptisms 1952-1981.
- Marriages 1586 to 1755, 1677 to 1771 (Bishop's Transcripts), and 1791 to 1812, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1564 to 1837, which is available in book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
The parish of Antony is in the St Germans Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts at Antony, St Germans and Saltash but they have now been
abolished. Parishes within the district were: Antony, Botusfleming, Landrake, Landulph, Maker, Millbrook, Pillaton, Quethiock, Rame, St. Erney, St. Germans, St. John's, St. Mellion, St. Stephen's, Saltash, Sheviock, Torpoint.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Antony ecclesiastical parish:
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted.
- Antony parish was part of the St
Germans Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1809 to 1820, 1828 to 1832, 1820 to 1837) are available in the Cornwall
*1881 figures exclude Torpoint; in 1904 part of Antony was incorporated
- Population in 1801 - 1795 persons
- Population in 1811 - 2144 persons
- Population in 1821 - 1795 persons
- Population in 1831 - 3099 persons
- Population in 1841 - 2894 persons
- Population in 1851 - 3201 persons
- Population in 1861 - 3887 persons
- Population in 1871 - 3268 persons, plus 493 persons in Antony Barracks and 51 persons in
- Population in 1881 - 834 persons
- Population in 1891 - 3684 persons
- Population in 1901 - 4362 persons
- Population in 1911 - 958 persons
- Population in 1921 - 799 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1033 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1294 persons
- Population in 1961 - 445 persons
- Population in 1971 - 445 persons
- Population in 1981 - 465 persons, plus 265 persons in Antony and Tregantle villages
- Population in 1991 - 445 persons, plus 240 in Antony and Tregantle villages
- Population in 2001 - 436 persons
- Population in 2011 - 500 persons
The Rame Peninsula History Group was formed at its inaugural meeting on 30 January 2003. Its aim is to research, record and promote interest in the heritage of the Rame Peninsula.
The parish comprises 3222 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.