Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
The parish of Baldhu (Cornish: Baldhu) is situated in the Deanery of Powder. It is named after the Cornish for Black Mine. It was formed on 1st January 1847 from parts of Kea and Kenwyn parishes. The old parish Church site is the burial place of Billy Bray, the revivalist preacher. His grave lies buried on the south side of the Victorian Gothic building.
The village was once a mining community situated above the Carnon Valley to the West of Truro; all of the mining in the area has now ceased but there is much evidence of its past. The mine at Wheal Jane was the most recent one to close in the late 20th century. The area has many buildings once occupied by these local miners.
A little to the south of the Truro to Chacewater road, in the old parish of St. Kea, the former Anglican church has now been converted into two domestic properties. The place was once a church building dedicated to St. Michael and All Angels, which had provided spiritual facilities for the people in the locality of Bissoe.
In 1984 the Anglican ecclesiastical parish of Baldhu was united with All Saints, Highertown, Truro. The former Baldhu parish only contains the hamlet of Bissoe.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Baldhu was enumerated under Kea and Kenwyn parishes.
- 1851. In the 1851 Census, Baldhu was enumerated under Kea and Kenwyn parishes. The census (HO107/1910) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Baldhu is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871.The 1871 Census of Baldhu is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Baldhu is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Baldhu is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. This ecclesiastical parish was formed on 1st January 1847 from the parishes of Kenwyn and Kea. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW773432 and was dedicated to St Michael and All Angels.
The church was built in 1848 by the Earl of Falmouth, at a cost (including the school adjoining) of over £3,000; it is built of stone in the decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, south aisle and a tower with spire on the north side, contained 6 bells, the gift of Anne, late Countess of Falmouth; the east window was stained. The church once contained a copy of King Charles the First's letter to the people of Cornwall thanking them for the loyal services to the Crown, written from the camp at Sudeley Castle, on September 10th 1643. The register here, which is now in the Cornwall Record Office, dates from the year 1848.
The old church building stands a little to the south of the Truro to Chacewater road in an isolated spot. The building is reached by a narrow road; it has now been converted to two domestic properties. The church building had experienced a major restoration during the 1960s. Billy Bray, the evanglelist, lies buried on the south side of the Victorian Gothic building.
The ecclesiastical parish is no longer independent; in 1984 it was united with All Saints, Highertown, Truro.
- Non-Conformist. The Bible Christians and Wesleyan Methodists had chapels here. There were two Wesleyan Chapels at Baldhu and Hugus, and the United Methodists had chapels at Bethel and Kerley Downs.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1847 - 1975, Burials 1848 - 1973, Marriages 1848 - 1978.
- Baptisms Baptisms 1847 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriages 1848 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials> Burials 1848 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Baldhu became part of the Truro Registration District on its creation. There were originally sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished.
The address of the Truro Superintendant Registrar is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Photographs of Baldhu are available on-line.
You can see pictures of Baldhu which are provided by:
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is on-line, from where he/she can be contacted by email.
You can see the administrative areas
in which Baldhu has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW770420 (Lat/Lon: 50.235768, -5.128555), Baldhu which are provided by:
Baldhu has always been in the Truro Registration District. Following its creation, Baldhu civil parish continued as part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Baldhu parish was created in 1847 from parts of Kea and Kenwyn parishes.
- Population in 1851 - 360 persons
- Population in 1861 - 2070 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1796 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1350 persons
- Population in 1891 - 994 persons
- Population in 1901 - 827 persons
- Population in 1911 - 757 persons
- Population in 1921 - 681 persons
- Population in 1931 - 670 persons
- Population in 1951 - 792 persons
- Population in 1961 - 620 persons
- Population in 1971 - 450 persons
- Population in 1981 - 370 persons
- Population in 1991 - 335 persons
- Population in 2001 - 000 persons
- Population in 2011 - 000 persons
The parish comprises 000 acres of land.