The parish of Baldhu (Cornish: Baldhu) is situated in the Deanery of Powder. It is named after
the Cornish for Black Mine. It was formed on 1st January 1847 from parts
of Kea and Kenwyn parishes. The old parish Church site is the burial place of Billy Bray, the
revivalist preacher. His grave lies buried on the south side of the
Victorian Gothic building.
The village was once a mining community situated above the Carnon
Valley to the West of Truro; all of the mining in the area has now ceased but
there is much evidence of its past. The mine at Wheal Jane was the most recent
one to close in the late 20th century. The area has many buildings once
occupied by these local miners.
A little to the south of the Truro to
Chacewater road, in the old parish of St. Kea, the former Anglican church has now been converted into two domestic properties.
The place was once a church building dedicated to St. Michael and All Angels, which had provided spiritual facilities for the people in the locality of
In 1984 the Anglican ecclesiastical parish of Baldhu was united with All Saints, Highertown,
Truro. The former Baldhu parish only contains the hamlet of Bissoe.
Census information for this parish (1851 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. In the 1841 Census, Baldhu was enumerated under Kea and Kenwyn parishes.
- 1851. In the 1851 Census, Baldhu was enumerated under Kea and Kenwyn parishes. The census (HO107/1910) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Baldhu is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871.The 1871 Census of Baldhu is available on-line from the
Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Baldhu is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Baldhu is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- Anglican. This ecclesiastical parish was formed on 1st January 1847 from the parishes of Kenwyn and Kea. The parish
church of Baldhu is located in OS Grid Square SW773432 and was dedicated to
St Michael and All Angels.
The church was built in 1848 by the Earl of
Falmouth, at a cost (including the school adjoining) of over £3,000; it is
built of stone in the decorated style, and consists of chancel, nave, south
aisle and a tower with spire on the north side, contained 6 bells, the gift of
Anne, late Countess of Falmouth; the east window was stained. The church once
contained a copy of King Charles the First's letter to the people of
Cornwall thanking them for the loyal services to the Crown, written from the camp at
Sudeley Castle, on September 10th 1643. The register here, which is now in the Cornwall Record Office, dates from the year
The old church building stands a little to the south of the Truro to Chacewater road in an
isolated spot. The building is reached by a narrow road; it has now been converted to two domestic properties. The church
building had experienced a major restoration during the 1960s. Billy Bray, the evanglelist, lies buried on the south side
of the Victorian Gothic building.
The ecclesiastical parish is no longer independent; in 1984 it was united with All Saints, Highertown, Truro.
- Non-Conformist. The Bible Christians and Wesleyan
Methodists had chapels here. There were two Wesleyan Chapels at Baldhu and Hugus, and the United Methodists had chapels at Bethel and Kerley Downs.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1847 - 1975, Burials 1848 -
1973, Marriages 1848 - 1978.
- Baptisms Baptisms 1847 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Marriages. Marriages 1848 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials> Burials 1848 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
The parish of Baldhu became part of the Truro Registration District on its creation. There were originally sub-districts at Kea,
Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have
now been abolished.
The address of the Truro Superintendant Registrar is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Baldhu are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is on-line, from where he/she can be contacted by email.
Information about the Carnon Valley Mines is available on-line.
Baldhu has always been in the Truro Registration District. Following its
creation, Baldhu civil parish continued as part of the Truro Union
for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Baldhu parish was created in 1847 from parts of Kea and Kenwyn parishes.
- Population in 1851 - 360 persons
- Population in 1861 - 2070 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1796 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1350 persons
- Population in 1891 - 994 persons
- Population in 1901 - 827 persons
- Population in 1911 - 757 persons
- Population in 1921 - 681 persons
- Population in 1931 - 670 persons
- Population in 1951 - 792 persons
- Population in 1961 - 620 persons
- Population in 1971 - 450 persons
- Population in 1981 - 370 persons
- Population in 1991 - 335 persons
- Population in 2001 - 000 persons
- Population in 2011 - 000 persons
The parish comprises 000 acres of land.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2011
[Last updated: 23rd September 2011 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.