Boyton, Boietone, or Boyyeton. The parish of Boyton (Cornish: Trevoya) lies in the Hundred of Stratton and the Deanery of Trigg-Major; it is about five miles north of Launceston. The parishes of Week St Mary and North Tamerton join it on the Cornish side, otherwise it abuts, and is nearly surrounded by, the former Devon parishes of North Petherwin, Werrington, St Giles-in-the-Heath, and the Devon parish of Luffincot and a Devon village called Northcott Hamlet which crosses the River Tamar. The road to Boyton from Launceston crosses through more than two miles of Devon.
The parish is named after Boia's Farm. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Boitone. Boyton sits almost on the border between Devon and Cornwall, the surrounding country gives pleasant views over wooded hills and valleys with Dartmoor prominent in the distance. The Bude canal passes through this parish on the east side, and there was a wharf at Boyton Bridge.
"BOYTON, a village and parish, 5 miles N.W. of Launceston, has 600 souls, and about 4200 acres of land, all in Cornwall, except NORTHCOTT hamlet, which has 100 inhabitants, and 740 acres of land, in the valley of the river Tamar, occupied by the following farmers :- Digory Downing, John Downing, John Martin, Thos. Stapleton, and Wm. Walters. Northcott supports its highways with Werrington. The Rev. Edw. Rudall, M.A., is the vicar." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)