GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Bradock

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish has been called: Broad Oak, Broadoak, Brodehog, Bradock, Braddock; it is now mainly referred to as Braddock. The parish is named after the Old English for Broad Hook or Oak, it is often called Broadoak in documents. It is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Brodehog when Earl Aelfric had held it before 1066. At that time, it is recorded as having land for 4 ploughs but only two ploughs there with 2 slaves. There were also 3 villagers and 4 smallholders. The parish then consisted of 20 acres of woodland and 100 acres of pasture.
The parish has been known as "Broadoke", but is now spelled 'Bradock/Braddock'.
The parish lies in the Hundred and Deanery of West. It is bounded on the east by St Pinnock, on the south by Bocconnoc, on the west by St Winnow, and on the north it is separated from the parishes of Cardinham, Warleggan, and St Neot by the River Fowey. On Bradock Downs are ancient barrows from the Iron Age, from which urns of rough pottery have been found.
West Taphouse is a hamlet one and three-quarters miles north-west of the Church.

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 207 entries.

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Church History

Church Records

Civil Registration

The parish of Bradock (Broadoak) has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.

Description & Travel

Directories

Kelly's 1856 Directory of Broadoak.

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

History

Bradock Down was the scene of two important events in the English Civil War. First, a victory obtained by the King's forces early in 1643 under the command of Sir Bevill Granville, Sir Nicholas Slanning, Sir Ralph Hopton, Arundell, Trevanion and other gentlemen of the county, over a much larger force commanded by Ruthven, Parliamentary Governor of Plymouth.
The victory was so complete that Ruthven escaped to Saltash with great difficulty and accompanied by just a few of his troops, from whence they were speedily driven across the Tamar. This advantage mainly contributed to the Royalist victory at Stratton on the 16th May of the same year. The second battle was on a more extensive scale. Lord Essex's Parliamentary Army had entered Cornwall in 1644, followed by the King in person. King Charles had sent up his headquarters at Boconnoc, whilist Essex had headquarted at Lanhydrock. After a number of skirmishes, Essex negotiated for a withdrawl; on 31st August, Essex abandoned his army and reached Plymouth. The Parliamentary cavalry forced its way through the Royalists, leaving the infantry to fight its way out of Bradock and Boconnoc Downs, with a great loss of life. The discomfiture of Lord Essex's army left the King without an enemy in arms in Cornwall.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Bradock ecclesiastical parish:

Maps

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 173 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 188 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 235 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 301 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 303 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 283 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 274 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 327 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 290 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 285 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 248 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 264 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 262 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 215 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 233 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 185 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 143 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 115 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 115 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 124 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 156 persons

Religion & Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Bradock are available on-line.

Statistics

The parish comprised 3389 acres of land and 15 acres of water.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.