Budock (Cornish: Plywvudhek)is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Kirrier (Kerrier). It is now more commonly called Budock Water. In 1869, it was bounded on the north by St Gluvias and Falmouth, on the east by the sea, on the south by Mawnan and Constantine, and on the west by Mabe. The parish is named after Saint Budocus; the name is also found in the area of Plymouth known as St Budeaux. Before the conquest the whole of the parish of Budock lay within the manor belonging to the Bishops of Exeter called Treliver. The modern name of the village is Budock Water.
Glasney was originally in this parish, and was a moor or march at the bottom of the episcopal park at Penryn. Here Walter Bronescombe, Bishop of Exeter, in 1264, commenced and on March 26th 1267, endowed a college for thirteen canons, one of whom was to be styled provost, or president, and for thirteen vicars. In 1318 a misunderstanding between to Provost and canons as impropriators of St Gluvias, and the vicar of that church over the division of tithes was resolved by the Bishop of Exeter.
The peninsular upon which Pendennis Castle stands was a detached portion of Budock. Part of Budock formed the new borough of Falmouth and Penryn.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Budock is listed in Volume 22. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
1861 Census. The 1861 Census of Budock (RG9/1566) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7832 and was dedicated to St Budocus prior to 1270. It comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle, and south transept. The arcade has seven four-centred arches, supported on monolith pillars of granite. The tower arch is plain and chamfered. There is a south porch with stone benches, and a priest's door. The tower is of three stages, is buttressed at the angles, and has stump pinnacles. There is a lych gate to the churchyard. Details about the plans of this church are available on-line.
There was also a Mission Church at Glasney which was built in 1908.
Non-Conformist. There are Wesleyan chapels at Treverva and Budock Water.
The parish of Budock is in the Falmouth Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts at Constantine, Falmouth, Mylor and Penryn. Parishes within the district are: Budock, Constantine, Falmouth, Mabe, Mawnan, Mylor, Penryn, Perranarworthal and St. Gluvias. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Berkely House, 12-14 Berkeley Vale, Falmouth, TR11 3PH. Tel: 01326 312606.
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.
The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Budock are available on-line.