Budock (Cornish: Plywvudhek)is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Kirrier (Kerrier).
It is now more commonly called Budock Water. In 1869,
it was bounded on the north by St Gluvias and Falmouth, on the east by the sea,
on the south by Mawnan and Constantine, and on the west by Mabe. The parish is
named after Saint Budocus; the name is also found in the area of Plymouth known
as St Budeaux. Before the conquest the whole of the parish of Budock lay within
the manor belonging to the Bishops of Exeter called Treliver. The modern name
of the village is Budock Water.
Glasney was originally in this parish,
and was a moor or march at the bottom of the episcopal park at Penryn. Here
Walter Bronescombe, Bishop of Exeter, in 1264, commenced and on March 26th
1267, endowed a college for thirteen canons, one of whom was to be styled
provost, or president, and for thirteen vicars. In 1318 a misunderstanding
between to Provost and canons as impropriators of St Gluvias, and the vicar of
that church over the division of tithes was resolved by the Bishop of
The peninsular upon which Pendennis Castle stands was a
detached portion of Budock. Part of Budock formed the new borough of Falmouth and Penryn.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History
Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for Quaker Burials - 185 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841 Census.
- 1851 Census.
- The 1851 Census of Budock (HO107/1911) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Budock is listed in Volume
22. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861 Census. The 1861 Census of Budock (RG9/1566) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1871 Census. The 1871 Census of Budock is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project as follows:
- 1881 Census.
- 1891 Census. The 1891 Census of Budock is available on-line from the Cornwall
Online Census project as follows:
- The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW7832 and was dedicated to St Budocus
prior to 1270. It comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle, and south transept.
The arcade has seven four-centred arches, supported on monolith pillars of
granite. The tower arch is plain and chamfered. There is a south porch with
stone benches, and a priest's door. The tower is of three stages, is buttressed
at the angles, and has stump pinnacles. There is a lych gate to the
churchyard. Details about the plans of this church are available on-line.
- There was also a Mission Church at Glasney which was built in 1908.
- Non-Conformist. There are Wesleyan chapels at Treverva and Budock Water.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Budock are: E006431, M006341, P006341. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1649 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1653 - 1960, Burials 1653 - 1954,
Marriages 1653 - 1966, Boyd's Marriage Index 1610 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1610 - 1673.
- Baptisms 1738 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1719 to 1840 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1838 to 1852) of the Falmouth Wesleyan Circuit. These include two registers from Pikes Hill Chapel - baptisms 1871 to 1900 and 1889 to 1900, which include a few marriages. The Circuit covers Falmouth, Budock, Mylor, Stithians, Mawnan, St Gluvias, Wendron and Constantine.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1837 to 1900) of the Falmouth Wesleyan Circuit (Penryn Section), and Penryn Wesleyan Chapel marriages (1893 to 1899). The area covers Penryn, Mabe, Mawnan, Constantine, Budock, St Gluvias, Stithians, Flushing, Edgcumb and Mylor.
- Banns. Banns 1829 to 1889 and 1891 to 1906 are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials 1653 to 1837, and 1840 to 1932, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book or CD formats.
The parish of Budock is in the Falmouth Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were
sub-districts at Constantine, Falmouth, Mylor and Penryn. Parishes within the district are: Budock, Constantine, Falmouth, Mabe, Mawnan, Mylor, Penryn, Perranarworthal and St. Gluvias. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Berkely House, 12-14 Berkeley Vale, Falmouth, TR11 3PH. Tel: 01326 312606.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Budock are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
Apprenticeship Indentures for Budock (1791 - 1836) can be found in the Cornwall
- Budock parish was part of the Falmouth
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. The Falmouth Workhouse
was located at Trescobeas, within the parish of Budock.
- Overseers' Accounts
for Budock(1765 to 1782 and 1790 to 1793), Settlement Papers (1827 to 1859) and
Bastardy Bonds (1779 to 1819), are available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 779 persons
- Population in 1811 - 1514 persons
- Population in 1821 - 1634 persons
- Population in 1831 - 1797 persons
- Population in 1841 - 1979 persons
- Population in 1851 - 2069 persons
- Population in 1861 - 2251 persons
- Population in 1871 - 2578 persons
- Population in 1881 - 1443 persons
- Population in 1891 - 1285 persons
- Population in 1901 - 1288 persons
- Population in 1911 - 1086 persons
- Population in 1921 - 1684 persons
- Population in 1931 - 2728 persons
- Population in 1951 - 914 persons
- Population in 1961 - 1029 persons
- Population in 1971 - 1051 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1135 persons(including 990 persons in Budock Water village.)
- Population in 1991 - 1325 persons (including 1195 in Budock Water village)
- Population in 2001 - 1399 persons
- Population in 2011 - 1537 persons
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House
of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of
loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the
Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the
Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the
Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on
returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the
Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed
and anyone who refused was to be noted.
Protestation Returns of 1642 for Budock are available on-line.
The parish comprises 3589 acres of land, 13 acres of tidal water and 67
acres of foreshore.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.