GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  UpDevon Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Calstock

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

Calstock (Cornish: Kalstok)is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of East. It is separated on the north and east sides from the Devon parishes of Lamerton, Tavistock and Beer Ferris, by the river Tamar. It is bounded on the south by St Dominick, and on the west by Callington and Stoke Climsland. The parish is named after the old English for a settlement 'stoch' preceded by an unknown word, possibly a personal name. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 as Calestoch. At that time it had land for 12 ploughs; there were 30 villagers and 30 smallholders with 6 ploughs, and 100 acres of woodland.

This was one of the 228 manors that were given to the Earl of Mortain, the brother of William the Conqueror.

Calstock town is situated on the banks of the Tamar. Cotehele House, the ancient seat of the Edgcumbe Family, is in the parish and is a Tudor mansion owned by the National Trust. It once belonging to the Earls of Mount Edgecumbe; this mansion was built by Sir Richard Edgecumbe during the reign of Henry VII. King Charles II, then Prince of Wales, stayed here for a short period in 1645. Cotehele was visited by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1846. It is now a National Trust property.

Besides Calstock town, the chief villages are Gunnislake (where there was a chapel-of-ease), Albaston, Harrabear (now Harrowbarrow), Chilsworthy, Latchley and Metherell. Cruising on the river Tamar is now a popular activity in Calstock.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Calstock has moved several times in civil registration terms. It was originally in the Liskeard Registration District, (from 1st July 1837 until 12th October 1860), of Cornwall; then there were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe. It was then transferred into the Tavistock Registration District of Devon on 12th October 1860. It was briefly in the Holsworthy Registration District of Devon where it was enumerated in the 1881 census. However, it moved back to Cornwall on 1st April 1936, since when it has been in the St Germans Registration District.

The Superintendant Registrar of St Germans can be contacted at: Ploughastel Drive, Saltash, Cornwall, PL12 6DL. Tel: 01752 842624.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Calstock ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Names, Personal

A list of surnames in Calstock, which are being researched by those who are email-capable, is available on-line.

Return to top of page

Newspapers

On-line newspaper articles about people from Calstock are available.

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 1105 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 2064 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 2388 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 2328 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 2553 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 4530 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 7090 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 6587 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 6485 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 6150 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 5874 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 4880 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 4618 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 4423 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 4322 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 3884 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 4079 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 5000 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 5967 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 6095 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 6431 persons

Return to top of page

Probate Records

A Calendar of Wills, Administrations & Accounts for Calstock parish is available on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 5760 acres of land, 70 acres of water, 44 acres of tidal water and 21 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.