GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Camborne

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

In 1867, Camborne (Cornish: Kammbronn) was situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Penwith. It was bounded on the north and east by the sea and Illogan, on the south by Crowan and Gwinear, and on the west by Gwithian. The parish is thought to take its name from the Cornish for a 'crooked hill', but it was also the site of a 'holy well' situated within it, from which the name could be derived.

Until the mining boom towards the end of the 18th century, which saw the Camborne and Redruth district become the richest mining area in the world at that time, Camborne was just a village. Influx of miners transformed the village into a town in a very short space of time. The town of Camborne is surrounded by numerous mine workings; it comprises several uniform streets which were filled with miners' cottages. The growth caused the parish to be spilt and three new parishes were created from Camborne to serve this boom: Tucking Mill in 1845, Treslothan also in 1845, and Penponds in 1854.

From the middle of the 19th century and into the 20th century, many mines closed which led to mass migration from the area. The last tin mine in Cornwall to close was the South Crofty mine in Camborne which ceased operations in 1998.

Richard Trevithick is probably Camborne's most famous son. He was born in a cottage a mile or so from Dolcoath Mine in Camborne, where his father was a mine Captain. His curiosity about the engineering aspects of the mining area in which he grew up, started at an early age, and this led to a career during which he pioneered the use of high pressure steam, and increased the efficiency of the engines used to pump water from the lower levels of Cornwall's tin and copper mines. Trevithick's inventive mind was never still - his ideas ranged from the first successful self-powered road vehicle, and a steam railway engine, to schemes for wreck salvage, land reclamation, mechanical refrigeration, agricultural machinery and for tunnelling under the Thames. Trevithick spent eleven years in South America, working for owners of silver mines. His memory is preserved in the annual Trevithick Day festival in the town.

Camborne became pre-eminent in the training of mining engineers; the Camborne School of Mines continues with this task into the 21st century.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Camborne was originally in the Redruth Registration District. It is now in the Registration District of Camborne-Redruth. There were sub-districts at Camborne, Gwennap, Illogan, Phillack and Redruth which have been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Camborne, East Phillack, Gwennap, Gwinear, Gwithian, Illogan, Phillack, Redruth, St. Sithian's, West Phillack.

The address of the Superintendant Registrar is: Roskear, Camborne, TR14 8DN. Tel: 01209 612924.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Directories

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Land & Property

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Camborne parish was part of the Redruth Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief. Overseers' Accounts (1648 to 1717) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Return to top of page

Population

Three parishes were formed from parts of Camborne parish: Tuckingmill in 1845, Treslothan also in 1845 and Penponds in 1854.

  • Population in 1801 - 4811 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 4714 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 6219 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 7699 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 10061 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 12887 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 14056 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 14929 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 13607 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 14700 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 14726 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 15829 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 14578 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 14160 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 13949 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 14125 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 16631 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 18590 persons (including 13965 in Camborne town)
  • Population in 1991 - 19335 persons (including 14765 in Camborne town)
  • Population in 2001 - 20010 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 21301 persons

Return to top of page

Probate Records

Return to top of page

Societies

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprised 6032 acres of land and 50 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2014
[Last updated: 28th July 2014 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.