Carbis Bay, (Cornish: Karrbons), is generally accepted as being part of Lelant;
it is located in a romantic wooded gorge, running from the road down to the shore and is
a holiday resort. In this spot several good dwelling-houses and hotels were built for visitors
to the neighbourhood. The best view of the valley is had from the beach, looking upwards.
The bay with its broad sands, is a nice spot for a quiet walk or read, and is more retired
than the beach of Porthminster.
The railroad crosses the valley by a stone viaduct, and near at hand is the
little Carbis Bay station. The train always stops here, for the convenience of
those who like to walk back to town of St Ives, or from that town to Carbis
Bay, returning by train.
Hawke's Point is a headland a short distance beyond Carbis Valley. The
beauty of its scenery has a great attraction for tourists. Here is a pretty
shaded garden and places in which visitors may have refreshments.
The ecclesiastical parish is named after the farm, which gave its name to the actual bay. The
Cornish name for the bay is 'Barrepta Cove'. The word Carbis may
be derived from the Cornish for 'causeway'.
Census information for Lelant (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office.
- Barnoon, is St. Ives oldest cemetery. It is an area of St. Ives on a steep
hill above Porthmeor beach. The cemetery is located on the hill itself behind
the Tate Gallery. All burials prior to Barnoon for St Ives were in local
parishes. When all the plots at Barnoon were full or purchased, the next
cemetery used from late 1950s was Longstones Cemetery at Carbis Bay.
There is no church situated at either Barnoon or Longstones; however at
Longstones there is a small chapel where services can be held.
- Transcriptions from Barnoon and Longstones cemetery, in St Ives, are
available on the Cornish Cemeteries site..
- The Cornwall Family History
Society have published Monumental Inscriptions on-line for the Parish Church - 49 entries.
- Some monumental inscriptions for Lelant, Longstones cemetery at Carbis Bay are available on-line courtesy of West Penwith Resources.
Carbis Bay has generally been enumerated as part of Lelant. Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- Anglican. A mission church was first erected here in 1913, following the separation from Uny-Lelant. The parish church, which was built in 1929, is located in OS Grid Square SW5238; it is dedicated to St Anta and All Saints. The parish is now again united with Uny-Lelant.
- Non-Conformist. There were chapels here for the Wesleyans and United Methodists.
The earliest Registers for Carbis Bay started in 1934, although there are
some entries from 1929. The Anglican registers are all held in the church; none are at
the Cornwall Record Office.
The parish of Carbis Bay has been in the Penzance Registration District since it was created in the early 20th century from Uny-Lelant. There were
originally sub-districts at Marazion, Penzance, St Buryan, St Just, St Ives
and Uny-Lelant but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Gulval, Ludgvan, Madron, Marazion, Morvah, Penzance, Perranuthnoe, St. Buryan, St. Erth, St. Hilary, St. Ives, St. Just in Penwith, St. Levan, St. Michael's Mount, St. Paul, Sancreed, Sennen, Towednack, Uny-Lelant, Wolfe Rock Lighthouse, and Zennor. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Alphington House, Alverton Place, Penzance, TR18 4JJ. Tel: 01736 330093.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
of Carbis Bay are available on-line.
of Cornwall 1893 covering Lelant (including Carbis Bay).
- OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
Carbis Bay parish was part of the Penzance
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
Carbis Bay has always been enumerated with, and as part of, Lelant.
- Population in 1921 - 1361 persons
- Population in 1931 - 1429 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1548 persons
- Population in 1961 - 1859 persons
- Population in 1971 - 2615 persons
- Population in 1981 - 2605 persons
- Population in 1991 - 2930 persons
- Population in 2001 - 3482 persons (Lelant and Carbis Bay)
- In 2011 the population was enumerated under St Ives.
The parish comprises 1957 acres of land. (In 1971, Lelant and Carbis Bay
occupied 792 Hectares of land).
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 3rd April 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.