GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Charlestown

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

Charlestown (Cornish: Porthmeur) is a coastal town situated in the north-west corner of St Austell Bay on the south coast of Cornwall, about two miles from St Austell town centre. The old Cornish name for the area was Polmear, and the village was originally called West Polmear. It had been a fishing village and this activity was conducted from the beach. In 1790 the village contained only 9 persons.

The expansion of the mining industry in the St Austell area made it a necessity to construct a harbour on the coast near by. Construction of the harbour, sponsored by Charles Rashleigh, started in 1791 and was completed in 1798. A pier was begun in 1791 for the security of fishing boats, but this was extended the following year, immediately after which a basin was cut out of solid rock.

Charlestown was the idea and creation of Charles Rashleigh, a member of the renowned local family and the founder of the local china clay industry, for whom it was named. (Nearby Mount Charles was also named for him.) He saw the growth in mining, and decided a port nearby was needed, and set about creating one. The local pub, 'The Rashleigh Arms' is also named after him.

Eventually Charlestown became a model Georgian "new town" that handled much of the ore and clay being sent world-wide, and the parish was created in 1847 from part of St. Austell parish. Charlestown is still in use today - a working port with an active fishery - while also being a tourist site and the location for several movies. The Charlestown Shipwreck and Heritage Museum helps explain the history of the area. At times, the beautiful brig 'Maria Asumpta', built in Spain in 1858 and rebuilt in 1981, is berthed here and is open to visitors.

Charlestown is now part of St Austell Urban District Council.

Archives and Libraries

Charlestown Shipwreck & Heritage Centre
Charlestown
ST AUSTELL
PL25 3NJ
Tel 01726 69897 - Overseas +44 1726 69897
Open 1st March - 31st October, 10am - 5pm (later in high season)

Return to top of page

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Charlestown has been in the Registration District of St Austell continuously from its creation in 1847. There were sub-districts at Fowey, Grampound, Mevagissey and St Austell, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Creed, Fowey, Gorran, Grampound, Mevagissey, Roche, St. Austell, St. Blazey, St. Dennis, St. Ewe, St. Mewan, St. Michael Carhays, St. Sampson, St. Stephen in Brannel, Tywardreath.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Return to top of page

History

Information about the maritime history of Charlestown is available on-line.

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Merchant Marine

An index of ships found whilst researching the maritime history of Charlestown is available on-line. Several ships with local connections but belonging to other ports are included.

Return to top of page

Names, Personal

A Surnames index containing names of people from Charlestown and extracted from the sources consulted while researching the maritime history of Charlestown is available. In addition to people directly involved in maritime occupations, it includes many local gentry, tradespeople and others who held shares in vessels.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Charlestown parish became part of the St Austell Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief on its creation.

Return to top of page

Population

Charlestown parish was created in 1847 from part of St. Austell parish. The parish later became part of St Austell Urban District Council.

  • Population of West Polmear in 1791 - 9 persons
  • Population of Charlestown in 1851 - 2871 persons
  • Population of Charlestown in 1861 - 3367 persons
  • Population of Charlestown in 1871 - 2871 persons, plus population on Shipping - 41 persons
  • Population of Charlestown in 1881 - 2865 persons
  • Population of Charlestown in 1891 - 2808 persons
  • Population of Charlestown in 1901 - 2796 persons
  • Population of Charlestown in 1911 - 3184 persons
  • Population of Charlestown in 1921 - 2973 persons
  • Population of Charlestown in 1931 - 3052 persons
  • Population of Charlestown in 1951 - 2922 persons
  • Population of Charlestown and Duporth villages in 1961 - 1040 persons
  • Population of Charlestown and Duporth villages in 1971 - 540 persons
  • Population of Charlestown and Duporth villages in 1981 - 545 persons
  • Population of Charlestown and Duporth villages in 1991 - 495 persons
  • Population of Charlestown and Duporth Villages in 2001 - 475 persons

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprises 1600 acres of land.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 1st April 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.