The parish of Colan (Cornish: Lannwydhek) has sometimes been called Little Colan or St
Colan; it is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north and
west by St Columb Minor, on the east by St Columb Major, and on the south by St
Enoder and Newlyn East. The parish, which is located towards the North Cornwall
coast, is named after its patron: Saint Colanus.
The principal villages
are Besoan or Besoughan (Bosoughan), Melancoose, and Mountjoy.
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 297 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall
Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Colan (HO107/149), Enumeration
District 1, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Colan (HO107/1905), Enumeration
District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Colan (RG9/1543), Enumeration
District 12, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871 The 1871 Census of Colan (RG10/2256), Enumeration
District 12A [including Merchant Shipping],is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Colan (RG11/2297), Enumeration
District 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Colan (RG12/1819), Enumeration
District 14, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW8661 and was dedicated to St Colanus.
The church erected in 1250 by Walter Bronscombe, Bishop of Exeter, who annexed
it to the office of the sacristan of Glasney College on 7th September 1276. It
was dedicated on 14th July 1336 by John de Grandisson, Bishop of Exeter. The
church comprises a chancel, nave, north aisle, and south transept. The arcade
has five four-centred arches of St Stephen's china stone, supported on
pillars of the same material. There is a south porch and a north door. The
tower is of two stages, embattled, and of the turrets only the pinnacles
remain. There are three bells.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Chapel in Colan, with a Sunday School attached.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1747 - 1949, Burials 1747 - 1812,
Marriages 1754 - 1836, Boyd's Marriage Index 1600 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1600 - 1673.
- Baptisms 1682 to 1773 (BTs with gaps), and 1813 to 1911, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD: baptisms (1839 to 1900) of the St Columb Wesleyan Methodist Circuit. Areas include: St Columb, Summercourt, Newquay, Padstow, St Stephens, St Enoder, St Dennis, St Issey, St Wenn and Colan.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1838 to 1900) of the St Ervan Bible Christian Circuit. The Circuit covers St Ervan, St Breock, St Wenn, St Issey, Padstow, Roche, St Dennis, St Columb, St Merryn, St Eval, St Enoder, Little Petherick, Egloshayle, Wadebridge, Mawgan-in-Pydar and Colan.
- Burials 1682 to 1773 (BTs), and 1813 to 1902, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
The parish of Colan was originally in the St Columb Registration District.
There were sub-districts at Newlyn, Padstow and St Columb Major, but these have
now been abolished. It is now in the Registration
District of St Austell. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan in Pyder, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.
The Superintendant Registrar of St Austell can be contacted at: 12 Carlyon Road, St Austell, PL25 4LD. Tel: 01726 68974. Fax: 01726 68974.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Pictures of
Colan are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Colan ecclesiastical parish:
Apprenticeship Indentures for Colan (1781 - 1827) can be found in the Cornwall
- Colan parish was part of the St
Columb Major Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Settlement Papers (1826) are available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 191 persons
- Population in 1811 - 221 persons
- Population in 1821 - 259 persons
- Population in 1831 - 261 persons
- Population in 1841 - 217 persons
- Population in 1851 - 254 persons
- Population in 1861 - 255 persons
- Population in 1871 - 231 persons
- Population in 1881 - 243 persons
- Population in 1891 - 222 persons
- Population in 1901 - 192 persons
- Population in 1911 - 140 persons
- Population in 1921 - 158 persons
- Population in 1931 - 157 persons
- Population in 1951 - 1017 persons
- Population in 1961 - 1165 persons
- Population in 1971 - 718 persons
- Population in 1981 - 1400 persons
- Population in 1991 - 1780 persons
- Population in 2001 - 1766 persons
- Population in 2011 - 1759 persons
The parish comprises 2047 acres of land, and 2 acres of water.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.