The parish of Cornelly (Cornish: Gorgoes) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It
is bounded on the north by Probus, on the east by Cuby, Tregony St James,
Veryan and Ruan Lanihorne, on the south by Lamorran creek, and on the west by
Lamorran. The parish is thought to be named after its patron: St Cornelly, or
possibly taken from an unknown local word. This is a sparsley-populated parish
which, for civil purposes, was absorbed by Tregony in 1934.
There is no
village of Cornelly and the little church of St Cornelius is tucked away down a
lane off a by-road between Probus and Tregony. Cornelly has within it the
hamlets of Penvose, Trelasker, Trewarthenick, Killiow, Freewater, Grogarth and
is bounded on the east by the river Fal.
The Cornwall Family History
have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 118 entries.
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Cornelly (HO107/147) (Enumeration
District 3), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1851 Census of Cornelly (HO107/1909) (Enumeration
District 6), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname
indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Cornelly is listed in
Volume 17. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the
Cornwall Centre (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is
also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Cornelly (RG9/1552), (Enumeration
District 8), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871 The 1871 Census of Cornelly (RG10/2273), Enumeration
District 8A, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Cornelly (RG11/2306), Enumeration
District 8, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Cornelly (RG12/1826) (Enumeration
District 8), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SW9145 and was dedicated to St
Cornelly. St Cornelly (or in Latin Cornelius) was the patron saint of all
animals until the time of St Francis of Assisi. He is not the saint of horned
animals. This saint is also patron to two churches in Brittany those of Carnac
and Morbihan. The existing church stands on a raised site, overlooking the
valley of the River Fal, which could have been an Iron age round. The present
building seems to have begun in the 13th Century. It is possible that Brittany
sailors brought the faith to this area of Cornwall. whilst it is difficult to
recognise it now, the river Fal was at one time navigable to a point above
Tregony, and the town was an important port, predating possibly Falmouth and
certainly Truro. It wasn't until the reign of Henry VIII (1509- 1547) that it
ceased to be primarily a port.
The church comprises a chancel, nave and
a short north aisle (called the Gregor aisle, which was wholly appropriated to
the use of that family); it is separated from the chancel by an arcade of two
obtuse arches of granite. There is a south porch and a north door. The tower is
of three stages and is battlemented; it is very small, internally measuring
only three feet by three feet six inches. It contained one bell.
1333 until 1973, the church was under the care of the Vicar of Probus but this
duty has now switched to the vicar of Cuby-with-Tregony.
Details about the plans of the existing church are available on-line.
- Non-Conformist. It is not clear what chapels (if any) the Non-Conformists held in Cornelly.
- LDS Church Records.
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Cornelly are: C022241/2, M022241. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1561 - 1875.
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1561 - 1947, Burials 1561 - 1956,
Marriages 1679 - 1897, Boyd's Marriage Index 1612 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1612 - 1673.
- Baptisms in the parish 1660 to 1913 are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, baptisms (1863 to 1900) of the Truro Bible Christian Circuit. The Circuit covers Truro (all parishes), St Allen, Probus, Grampound, Perran, Creed, Gwennap, Cornelly, Goonhavern, Kea, Tregony and St Agnes.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1612 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
- Phillimore's Marriages in the parish 1679 to 1811, and parish transcripts 1842 to 1897, are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Phillimore's Marriages
of Cornelly 1679 to 1812 are available on-line from UK Genealogy Archives.
- Burials in the parish 1685 to 1772 (Bishop's Transcripts), and 1813 to 1903 (parish transcripts), are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
The parish of Cornelly is in the Truro
Registration District and has been since 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St
Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Cornelly ecclesiastical parish:
- The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
- The OPC for Cornelly has produced a genealogical website for
the parishes of Probus and Cornelly.
- The OPC offers searches of
parish documents and records.
names of Probus and Cornelly families which appear most frequently in the
OPC's database are listed.
Cornelly parish was part of the Truro Union
for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
The parish became part of the parish of Cuby-with-Tregony for civil purposes
in 1934. From this date population figures are included with that
- Population in 1801 - 137 persons
- Population in 1811 - 151 persons
- Population in 1821 - 168 persons
- Population in 1831 - 170 persons
- Population in 1841 - 119 persons
- Population in 1851 - 102 persons
- Population in 1861 - 99 persons
- Population in 1871 - 92 persons
- Population in 1881 - 93 persons
- Population in 1891 - 84 persons
- Population in 1901 - 71 persons
- Population in 1911 - 79 persons
- Population in 1921 - 55 persons
- Population in 1931 - 77 persons
In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House
of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of
loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the
Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the
Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the
Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on
returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the
Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed
and anyone who refused was to be noted.
Protestation Returns of 1642 for Cornelly are available on-line.
The parish comprised 1361 acres of land and 7 acres of water.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 2nd April 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.