Creed is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. The parish (Cornish: Sen Krida) is bounded on the north by St Stephen-in-Brannel, on the east by St Ewe, on the south by St Ewe and Cuby, and on the west by Probus. The parish is named after its patron St Crida. Creed was anciently taxed under the name of Tybesta, a manor formerly giving its name to a hundred now comprising a large portion of Powder.
The ancient borough of Grampound is also situated in the deanery and Hundred of Powder; it is actually sited in the parishes of Creed and Probus. The town of Grampound had a charter as early as 26th October 1334. It sent two members to parliament from the time of Edward VI up to 1824; in that year it was disfranchised for bribery, being the only borough so treated prior to the Reform Bill of 1832. It had the honour of introducing to parliamentary life two very notable men, William Noye, the great lawyer (1604 to 1611), and John Hampden, the hero of the ship-money dispute (1620), both good friends of the people, though, as all know, the former deserted the popular cause. In 1768 it was represented by Grey Cooper, Secretary to the Treasury, and Charles W. Cornwall, afterwards speaker of the house, a man of great ability, whose career was, however, impeded by a love of drink. The parliamentary history of Grampound is of much interest, and is fully told in W.P. Courtney's Parliamentary Representation of Cornwall to 1832.
In essence, the main place of the parish is Grampound, but the Church is located at Creed. A short but interesting account is in 'The histories of Creed church and the borough of Grampound', by O.B. Peter (Launceston, 1904). There was once a small woollen trade carried on here, a manufacture of gloves, and a tannery. In the market place is the shaft of a gothic cross. There are earthworks at Nantellan and Pencoyse.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)