Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Cubert

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Cubert

Cubert (St Cuthbert) (Cornish: Lannowynn) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Pydar. It is bounded on the north by Crantock, on the east by Crantock and Newlyn East, on the south by Perranzabuloe, and on the west by the sea. The parish is named after its patron, Saint Cubertus. The churchtown stands on an elevated position and was surrounded by well-cultivated and fertile lands, which formed a striking contrast to the deserts of sands to the westward. Villages in the parish are: Treveal and Tresean. About a mile and a half to the north west of the Church, in a small sandy bay under Kelsey Point, called Holy Well Bay, are several caves wrought in the cliff by the sea. In one of these caves, at the north-eastern point in the bay, is the well which give it its name.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for:

  • The Parish Church - 388 entries.
  • The Methodist Chapel - 301 entries.

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841. The 1841 Census of Cubert (HO107/149), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1851. The 1851 Census of Cubert (HO107/1905), Enumeration District 2c, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of Cubert (RG9/1544), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Cubert (RG10/2257), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Cubert (RG11/2298), Enumeration District 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Cubert (RG12/1820), Enumeration District 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Cubert area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW7857 and was dedicated to St Cubertus (or Cuthbert). It comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north and south transepts. The arcade has six obtuse arches of St Stephens stone, with monolith pillars of the same material. There is a south porch and a north door. The tower is buttressed on the square, and on the second stage is canted into an octagon, surmounted by a spire; it contained three bells. The church and spire were considerably damaged by lightning on Monday, 10th April 1848; they were restored in 1852.
  • Non-Conformist. There is a Wesleyan Chapel in Cubert.

Church Records

  • Esther Scott has produced a list of some baptisms, marriages and burials, which are recorded in the Cubert parish registers.
  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1733 - 1864, Burials 1733 - 1960, Marriages 1733 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms in the parish 1813 to 1911 are available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • Some Baptisms at Cubert have been transcribed by Esther Scott, and are on-line.
  • Marriages.
    • Phillimore marriages in the parish 1608 to 1812, and parish transctipts 1813 to 1837, are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Marriages 1608 to 1837, which are available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf files.
    • Some Marriages at Cubert have been transcribed by Esther Scott, and are on-line.
  • Burials.
    • Burials in the parish 1682 to 1773 (Bishop's Transcripts), 1653 to 1657, and 1733 to 1837 (parish transcripts) are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have also published transcripts of: Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
    • Some Burials at Cubert have been transcribed by Esther Scott, and are on-line.

Civil Registration

The parish of Cubert was originally in the St Columb Registration District. It is now in the Truro Registration District. There were sub-districts at Newlyn, Padstow and St Columb Major, but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the old St Columb district were: Colan, Crantock, Cubert, Little Petherick, Mawgan in Pyder, Newlyn, Newquay, Padstow, St. Breock, St. Columb Major, St. Columb Minor, St. Enoder, St. Ervan, St. Eval, St. Issey, St. Merryn, St. Wenn.

The address of the Truro Superintendant Registrar is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Pictures of Cubert are available on-line.
You can see pictures of Cubert which are provided by:

Genealogy

The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Cubert ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which Cubert has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW780570 (Lat/Lon: 50.370847, -5.123372), Cubert which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Cubert parish was part of the St Columb Major Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1793 to 1837) are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 269 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 289 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 322 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 487 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 368 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 436 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 420 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 411 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 334 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 311 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 315 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 317 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 288 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 382 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 561 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 474 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 548 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 830 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 1210 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 1155 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 1261 persons

Statistics

The parish comprises 2508 acres of land, 2 acres of water, 3 acres of tidal water and 80 acres of foreshore.