Report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Cuby With Tregony

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Cuby With Tregony

The parish of Cuby (Cornish: Sen Kubi) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Creed, on the east by St Ewe and St Michael Caerhays, on the south by Veryan, and on the west by Cornelly and Probus. The parish of Cuby is named after its patron, Saint Cuby. The parish is now actually referred to as Cuby-with-Tregony St James; the parish includes the borough of Tregony, (Cornish: Trerigni), hich is often referred to in old documents as Tregony St James.

About 700 years ago Tregony was a busy port when Truro hardly existed; although it is difficult to imagine it today when the only water in sight is the tiny river Fal at the bottom of Tregony Hill. In those days the river was much wider, but has since silted up, no doubt due to tin streaming further up the river. Tregony Borough was invested with the priviliges of a manor and court leet before the Norman conquest of 1066. It is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086 when there was land for five ploughs, but only 2 actually there. There were five serfs, three villages and six smallholders.

Tregony returned 2 members of parliament in the reign of Henry 1 and became what was known as a 'rotten borough', because of the bribery and corruption involved in being elected member of parliament. This ended with the Reform Act of 1832, aafter which is became linked to Cuby. Tregony at one time had a castle, built by King John when he was Earl of Cornwall, in opposition to his elder brother, King Richard I, who was overseas fighting with the crusades. This castle was situated just below where the attractive 17th century almshouses now stand, but no trace of this survives today.

Cuby had the church which was used by Tregony and so Tregony was united with Cuby. Cuby-with-Tregony incorporated Cornelly parish in 1934.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)


Tregony History - Memories and Photographs of Tregony and District 1886~1921. Published by Franklin Grigg, the author in December 2004. ISBN 0 9548912 0 1.


The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 725 entries.


Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Cuby With Tregony area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW9245 and was dedicated to St Cuby and St James. St Cuby was the son of Solomon, King (or Earl) of Cornwall about the year 350. He was bred up as a zealous christian of the orthodox faith at a time when the christian faith was still evolving. He became a disciple of St Hilary and was a prime mover in converting Roman Britain to christianity.
    The silt-buried original parish church in Tregony was dedicated to St James; it had to be abandoned in 1553. Since then, the church of Tregony has been that of St Cuby, situated at the top of the main street, but which is unfortunately in the parish of Cuby. The two, were once separate parishes, but for many years they have been consolidated. The church of Cuby is situated on the borders of the borough of Tregony. The church, except for the tower, was rebuilt in 1828. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north transept which is also used as a vestry. There is a south porch with a stone roof. The tower is of two stages, and is buttresed at the angles; it has stump pinnacles, and contained one bell. The churchyard is entered by a lych gate.
  • Non-Conformist. There is a Methodist Church in Tregony.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Cuby with Tregony are: C022271/2, C053331, M022272. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage for this parish is 1611 - 1875.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1661 - 1961, Burials 1662 - 1903, Marriages 1661 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1611 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1800 - 1812, BTs 1611 - 1673.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms in the parish 1780 to 1812, and 1879 to 1911 (parish transcripts - with gaps) are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1780 to 1841 for this parish and these are available for purchase from Parish Chest.
  • Banns Banns in the parish 1755 to 1812, and 1825 to 1891, are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
    • Marriages in the parish 1661 to 1812 (Phillimore's), and 1755 to 1812 (parish transcripts) are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1611 to 1837, which is available on CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
  • Burials. Please note: the burial register for this parish is in extremely poor condition.
    • Burials in the parish 1661 to 1684, 1780 to 1812, 1764 to 1833 (Bishop's Transcripts), and 1813 to 1876, are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book or CD formats.

Civil Registration

The parish of Cuby with Tregony has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • A website dedicated to the history of Tregony is available.
  • Photographs of Tregony are also available on-line.
You can see pictures of Cuby With Tregony which are provided by:


The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Cuby:

The following places have been identified in Tregony:

You can see the administrative areas in which Cuby With Tregony has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW925449 (Lat/Lon: 50.267461, -4.913093), Cuby With Tregony which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Cuby with Tregony parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.


The parish incorporated Cornelly for civil purposes in 1934.


Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

  • Population in 1801 - 139 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 152 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 140 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 155 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 161 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 146 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 139 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 142 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 149 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 141 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 117 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 134 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 117 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 140 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 129 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 115 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 124 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 125 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 155 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 146 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 162 persons


Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

  • Population in 1801 - 937 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 923 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1035 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1127 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 995 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 846 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 699 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 745 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 675 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 558 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 536 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 467 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 475 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 441 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 529 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 513 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 607 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 720 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 740 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 809 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 853 persons

Religion and Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Cuby are available on-line.


The parish of Tregony-St James comprised 141 acres of land.

The parish of Cuby comprised 2316 acres of land.