GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Cuby with Tregony

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

The parish of Cuby (Cornish: Sen Kubi) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. It is bounded on the north by Creed, on the east by St Ewe and St Michael Caerhays, on the south by Veryan, and on the west by Cornelly and Probus. The parish of Cuby is named after its patron, Saint Cuby. The parish is now actually referred to as Cuby-with-Tregony St James; the parish includes the borough of Tregony, (Cornish: Trerigni), hich is often referred to in old documents as Tregony St James.

About 700 years ago Tregony was a busy port when Truro hardly existed; although it is difficult to imagine it today when the only water in sight is the tiny river Fal at the bottom of Tregony Hill. In those days the river was much wider, but has since silted up, no doubt due to tin streaming further up the river. Tregony Borough was invested with the priviliges of a manor and court leet before the Norman conquest of 1066. It is mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086 when there was land for five ploughs, but only 2 actually there. There were five serfs, three villages and six smallholders.

Tregony returned 2 members of parliament in the reign of Henry 1 and became what was known as a 'rotten borough', because of the bribery and corruption involved in being elected member of parliament. This ended with the Reform Act of 1832, aafter which is became linked to Cuby. Tregony at one time had a castle, built by King John when he was Earl of Cornwall, in opposition to his elder brother, King Richard I, who was overseas fighting with the crusades. This castle was situated just below where the attractive 17th century almshouses now stand, but no trace of this survives today.

Cuby had the church which was used by Tregony and so Tregony was united with Cuby. Cuby-with-Tregony incorporated Cornelly parish in 1934.

Bibliography

Tregony History - Memories and Photographs of Tregony and District 1886~1921. Published by Franklin Grigg, the author in December 2004. ISBN 0 9548912 0 1.

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 725 entries.

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Cuby with Tregony has been in the Truro Registration District continuously from 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Kea, Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have now been abolished. Parishes in this registration district are: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.

The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Cuby: The following places have been identified in Tregony:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Cuby with Tregony parish was part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Return to top of page

Population

The parish incorporated Cornelly for civil purposes in 1934.

Cuby.

  • Population in 1801 - 139 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 152 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 140 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 155 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 161 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 146 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 139 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 142 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 149 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 141 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 117 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 134 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 117 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 140 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 129 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 115 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 124 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 125 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 155 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 146 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 162 persons

Tregony.

  • Population in 1801 - 937 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 923 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 1035 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 1127 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 995 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 846 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 699 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 745 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 675 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 558 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 536 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 467 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 475 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 441 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 529 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 513 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 607 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 720 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 740 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 809 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 853 persons

Return to top of page

Religion & Religious Life

In the May of 1641 it was agreed and ordered that every Member of the House of Commons and House of Lords should make a protestation (declaration of loyalty) to the crown. The Protestation was printed and then distributed by the Members to their counties. The Protestation was to be made by everyone and the Rectors, Churchwardens and Overseers of the Poor, had to appear before the Justices of the Peace in their Hundred to make their protestation and, on returning to their parishes, any two of them were to witness the taking of the Protestation Oath by all males over the age of 18 years. All names were listed and anyone who refused was to be noted.

The Protestation Returns of 1642 for Cuby are available on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish of Tregony-St James comprised 141 acres of land.

The parish of Cuby comprised 2316 acres of land.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.