We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Cury

Cury, anciently called Corantyn, (in Cornish: Egloskuri) is situated in the Meneage district on the Lizard peninsular; it is in the Deanery and Hundred of Kerrier. It is bounded on the north and west by Mawgan-in-Meneage, on the east by Ruan Minor and on the south by Mullion and Gunwalloe. The parish is named after its patron, Saint Corentin, was mentioned in the Domesday Survey of AD 1086, as Chori.

The principal villages of the parish, besides the Churchtown, are Cross Lanes, White Cross and Nantithet. The parish is primarily an agricultural one, with many farms.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

The Cornwall Family History Society have published on-line Monumental Inscriptions for:
  • The Parish Church - 235 entries.
  • Municipal cemetery - 445 entries.

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society (CFHS) offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841.
    • The 1841 Census of Cury (HO107/136), Enumeration Districts 6 and 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241260.
  • 1851.
    • The 1851 Census of Cury (HO107/1912), Enumeration Districts 3a and 3b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The New Zealand Society of Genealogists have compiled separate surname indexes of the 1851 Census for each Cornish registration district; Cury is listed in Volume 32. The booklets are available in Cornwall at the Cornwall Centre (formerly known as the Cornish Studies Library), and is also available in the Cornwall FHS Library.
  • 1861. The 1861 Census of Cury (RG9/1572), Enumeration Districts 6 and 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Cury (RG10/2304), Enumeration Districts 6 and 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Cury (RG11/2323), Enumeration Districts 6 and 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Cury (RG12/1840), Enumeration Districts 6 and 7, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Cury area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SW6721 and was dedicated to St Corantin. St Corantin is said to be the first Cornish apostle of note. He was born in Brittanny.
    Cury and Gunwallow formed one perpetual curacy; they were, with Germoe, formerly daughter churches of Breage. The church was dedicated by Walter Bronescombe, bishop of Exeter, on 1st September 1261. It consists of a chancel, nave, north aisle, and a south transept. The arcade has six four-centred, pointed arches of St Stephens porcelaine stone, with pillars of the same material. There is a south porch and a north door. An outstanding feature is its south doorway which is Norman and dates from the 12th century. One oddity is the squint, or hagioscope, connecting the south transept and the chancel. The west tower, which is so prominent a landmark, is of two stages; it has battlements and pinnacles. It is built entirely of granite brought from Constantine.
    It is believed that this church was the first in Cornwall to use the Liturgy in English.
  • Non-Conformist. In the village of Whitecross there were chapels for the Weseyan Methodists and Association Methodists.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Cury are: C023581/2, E023582, M023582. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1676 - 1875.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1690 - 1875, Burials 1690 - 1954, Marriages 1692 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1608 - 1837, BTs 1608 - 1673.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1676 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1690 to 1901 - with gaps, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD baptisms 1690 to 1840 for this parish.
  • Marriages.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1608 to 1837, which is available in Book, CD or downloadable .pdf file formats.
    • Marriages 1676 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1773 to 1904, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Burials.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
    • Burials 1676 to 1772 (Bishop's transcripts), and 1813 to 1910, for this parish are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).

Civil Registration

The parish of Cury was originally in the Helston Registration District; there were sub-districts at Breage, Crowan, Helston, St Keverne and Wendron. It is now in the Kerrier Registration District. Parishes in this registration district are: Breage, Crowan, Cury, Germoe, Gunwalloe, Grade, Helston, Landewednack, Manaccan, Mawgan in Meneage, Mullion, Ruan Major, Ruan Minor, St. Anthony in Meneage, St. Keverne, St. Martin in Meneage, Sithney, Wendron.

The address of the Registration Office is: The Willows, Church Street, Helston, TR13 8NJ.
Tel: 01326 562848.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
You can see pictures of Cury which are provided by:

Genealogy

  • OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
  • Strays. Persons living in a parish but born elsewhere are known as "Strays". Strays found in Cury in the 1861 Census are available on-line.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Cury ecclesiastical parish:
You can see the administrative areas in which Cury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SW670210 (Lat/Lon: 50.043348, -5.255715), Cury which are provided by:

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

Cury parish was part of the Helston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 304 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 347 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 505 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 525 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 541 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 549 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 517 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 494 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 474 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 354 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 325 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 359 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 324 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 325 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 336 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 322 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 368 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 425 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 380 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 388 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 474 persons

Statistics

The parish comprises 2820 acres of land and 2 acres of water.