GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Davidstow

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

Davidstow (Cornish: Lanndhewi)is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and the Hundred of Lesnewth. It is bounded on the north by the parishes of Lewnewth, St Juliot and Otterham, on the east by Warbstow, Treneglos and St Clether, on the south by St Clether and Advent, and on the west by Lanteglos-by-Camelford and Minster. Named after David, Bishop of Menevia, to whom the parish church is dedicated, Davidstow is a small village on the northern edge of Bodmin Moor. In the past the parish was called 'Dewstow' from the Cornish for David: 'Dewy'. The parish lies about 12 miles to the West of Launceston. There are a few isolated farms in the area and farming is the main industry. An imposing church which is beside the busy main road from Camelford to Launceston, there is an unusual holy well near the church which was restored in 1871.

The commons around Davidstow were permenantly scarred when a World War II aerodrome was built, and the disused runways still criss-cross the moor. The air base was used mainly by the Americans and Canadians for training in the run up to D-Day and were visited by General Eisenhower during 1944. However the frequent moorland mist rendered the base unusable for alot of the time and after the war the military discontinued its use. The airfield then enjoyed another slice of unique history when it became the venue for various motor racing events in the 1950's including three Formula 1 races, but a lack of sponsorship and increasing safety regulations brought this to a close within a few years. The disused airfield is still used for balloon ascents.

St Kitt's Hill, on the western side of the parish, is 985 feet above sea-level. The villages of this parish are Trewassa, Trevivian, and Tremeal (Tremail).

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

Although originally in the Camelford Registration District, the parish of Davidstow is now in the Bodmin Registration District; there were sub-districts at Boscastle and Camelford. Parishes within the Camelford district were: Advent, Davidstow, Forrabury, Lanteglos, Lesnewth, Michaelstow, Minster, Otterham, St. Breward, St. Clether, St. Juliot, St. Teath, Tintagel, Trevalga.

The Superintendant Registrar of Bodmin can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Davidstow ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Occupations

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 217 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 262 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 363 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 389 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 408 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 472 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 394 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 410 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 406 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 393 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 371 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 384 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 430 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 393 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 426 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 368 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 384 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 385 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 448 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 470 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 433 persons

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish of Davidstow comprises 6849 acres of land and 4 acres of water.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.