Devoran, (Cornish: Devryon), is in the Deanery and Hundred of Powder. The parish was created on 17th January 1873 from Feock parish to serve an increasing population.
The parish is named after the Cornish word for water, 'Dowr', and lies near the point where two rivers meet. It lies about 4 miles south-west of Truro on Restronguet Creek. The land is mostly farmed and many residents work in the nearby City of Truro. Devoran once almost became a town; the village lies at the bottom of the Bissoe valley and at the top of Restronguet Creek. It is hard to imagine now that this tranquil place was once a hive of industry having a railway line to the mines, extensive wharves, and boatyards with ships and barges coming and going in the creek. It was once an important shipping place for the importation of timber, coals and iron, for the mines, and for the exportation of copper and other ores.
Devoran's brief industrial history began in the early 19th century when a railway was constructed from the Gwennap mines to Point, where the copper ore could be taken aboard ship. The trains would then return with coal and whatever else was needed for the mines. By the 1840s wharves had been built all along the creek from Devoran to Point, together with boatyards, repair shops and housing for the people. Meanwhile, however, something not so good had been taking place. Waste washed down from the plethora of tin mines in the surrounding countryside was steadily building up and the tidal creek was being choked. Tin had always been extracted from the Fal river area but the heavy industrialisation of the 19th century hugely accelerated the silting up process. Then, a little later and the final blow to all this enterprise, prices fell. Discovery of cheaper tin in other parts of the world made it increasingly uneconomical in Cornwall and by the early 20th century, the port had ground to a halt.
Today Restronguet Creek is a very peaceful place, but there is a lot less water in the bottom.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
The Cornwall Family History Society have published Monumental Inscriptions for the Parish Church - 1181 entries.
Census information for this parish (1881 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
The parish of Devoran has been in the Truro
Registration District since its creation. There were sub-districts at Kea,
Kenwyn, Probus, St. Agnes, St. Clement and St Just-in-Roseland, but these have
now been abolished.. Parishes in this registration district were: Cornelly, Cuby, Feock, Gerrans, Kea, Kenwyn, Ladock, Lamorran, Merther, Perranzabuloe, Philleigh, Probus, Ruan Lanihorne, St. Agnes, St. Allen, St. Anthony in Roseland, St. Clement, St. Erme, St. Feock, St. Just in Roseland, St. Michael Penkevil, Tregavethan, Tregony St. James, Truro St. Mary, Veryan.
The address of the Registration Office is: Dalvenie House, New County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 01872 322241.
The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The place-names below were taken mainly from Dr. Grover's unpublished typescript and Charles Henderson's works, both in the Library at the Truro Museum. We are specially grateful to Mr. Richard JENKIN for his personal assistance, and have also studied works by Morton Nance and P. A. S. Pool. [Source of extracted material: Feock with Devoran and Carnon Downs In The 19th Century, Part II; copyright by the Extra Mural Department, University of Exeter, 1973]
Devoran parish became part of the Truro Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief on its creation.
Created from part of Feock parish 1873; population figures before this date are included with Feock.
The parish comprises 0000 acres of land.
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.