Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Duloe

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Duloe

Duloe (Cornish: Dewlogh) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of West. It is bounded on the north by St Pinnock, Liskeard and St Keyne, on the east by Liskeard, Morval and St Martin, on the south by Talland and Pelynt, and on the west by Lanreath. The parish is named after the Cornish Dew Logh meaning 'Two Pools' or possibly after the fact that it is situated between the two Looe Rivers. It lies to the south-west of Liskeard on a ridge between the East and West Looe Rivers. There are few small hamlets and farmsteads along the North South ridge. The main industry is farming. The name Duloe has several possible origins: Dhu-Loo means 'Black Looe' Du-Loo means 'God's River' and Due-Loo means 'Two Loos', describing the aforementioned situation of this parish between the East and West Looe rivers.

The parish is very scattered and consists of the village of Duloe and the hamlets of Tredinnick and Hill. The populous mining village of Herodsfoot was originally in this parish, but it became a separate parish in 1851. Duloe contains several old manors, of which Brodbane, Trenant, Lanwarnick, Killigorick and Tremadart are mentioned in the Domesday Book, but few traces of the original buildings remain.

There has been a settlement at Duloe for at least 2500 years. Early inhabitants of this land seeking to explain the forces governing their lives built stone circles to study the sun and the moon and offered up sacrifices to the sun the source of nourishment. Duloe has a stone circle, a link with the earliest settlement here. In a field some 300 yards from the church are eight white quartz stones in a small circle of 38 ft diameter. The present setting is the result of restoration in the last century when a burial urn of the late Bronze Age (2000-500 B.C) was found at the base of one of the stones. The Duloe Torque, a gold bracelet from the late Bronze Age, was found in a nearby field and is now in the Truro County Museum. It has been suggested that the church yard was the site of an Iron Age Fort because of the circular shape and elevation and because Tredinnick, the neighbouring hamlet means "the town of the fort".

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Duloe area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2358 and was originally dedicated to St Cuby and St Leonard on 15th October 1321. The present church is dedicated to St Cuby (or Keby), who was born in Cornwall in the 5th century A.D and was the nephew of St Nonna. He trained for the priesthood in Ireland, and established churches, particularly in Wales, and was the founder of the monastery of Holyhead in Anglesey.
    The church contains a chancel, nave, north chancel aisle, north aisle, and north and south transepts. The nave arcade has four lofty four-centred arches of Pentewan stone, with pillars of the same material. The north transept, used to be known as the Treworgy aisle, was appropriated by the Kendall family during the early 19th century. There is a south porch, a blocked north door, a priest's door, and a north transept door. The tower is on the south side of the church, and adjoins the south transept, but it has no direct communication with the church. It was originally of three stages, but because it had developed an inclination to the north, the uppermost stage was removed and a loft pyramidal roof of slate was substituted. It is buttressed on the square, and contains six bells.
    In 1936 St Cuby's, and All Saints, Herodsfoot, re-joined to become the united benefice of Duloe-with-Herodsfoot although both Parishes were still to be independent. Since then they have shared rectors and Priests-in-Charge and very often, in the early days of the United Benefice, a Curate who would live in the All Saints Vicarage and have particular responsibility for the village.
    St Cuby's Well lies on the right hand side of the road to Looe, past the old rectory (now called Duloe Manor) The inner chamber is of ancient date and the steps down into the water appear to mark it as a baptismal well. In the church in the north transept is St Cuby's font a stone basin from an earlier well further down the hill. It is of pre- Christian origin, and the carvings of griffin and fish link it with purification rites.
    There is a Mission Church from St Cuby's called St Mary's, which was located at Hill.
  • Non-Conformist. The Association Methodists have a chapel in Duloe.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records.
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1668 - 1984, Burials 1668 - 1954, Marriages 1668 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1607 - 1673, BTs 1607 - 1673.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms in the parish 1686 to 1772 (Bishop's Transcripts), 1801 to 1812 and 1846 to 1911 (parish transcripts), are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1720 to 1840 for this parish and are available for purchase on Parish Chest.
  • Marriages.
  • Burials.
    • Burials in the parish 1686 to 1772 (Bishop's Transcripts), and 1801 to 1837 and 1867 to 1936 (parish transcripts), are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD formats.

Civil Registration

The parish of Duloe has always been in the Liskeard Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin, Liskeard and Looe. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.

Description and Travel

  • ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
  • Pictures of Duloe are available on-line.
You can see pictures of Duloe which are provided by:

Genealogy

The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Duloe ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which Duloe has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX230580 (Lat/Lon: 50.395099, -4.491722), Duloe which are provided by:

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for Duloe (1685 - 1835) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Duloe parish was part of the Liskeard Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1749 to 1837), Settlement Papers (1672 to 1835) and Bastardy Bonds (1660 to 1790), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 709 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 821 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 779 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 928 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 937 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 1209 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 1096 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 1109 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 600 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 826 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 735 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 687 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 609 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 613 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 572 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 549 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 585 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 625 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 710 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 660 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 704 persons

Statistics

The parish comprises 5821 acres land, 8 acres of water, 18 acres of tidal water and 47 acres of foreshore.