Duloe (Cornish: Dewlogh) is situated in the Deanery and Hundred of West. It is bounded on the
north by St Pinnock, Liskeard and St Keyne, on the east by Liskeard, Morval and
St Martin, on the south by Talland and Pelynt, and on the west by Lanreath. The
parish is named after the Cornish Dew Logh meaning 'Two Pools' or
possibly after the fact that it is situated between the two Looe Rivers. It
lies to the south-west of Liskeard on a ridge between the East and West Looe
Rivers. There are few small hamlets and farmsteads along the North South ridge.
The main industry is farming. The name Duloe has several possible origins:
Dhu-Loo means 'Black Looe' Du-Loo means 'God's
River' and Due-Loo means 'Two Loos', describing the
aforementioned situation of this parish between the East and West Looe
The parish is very scattered and consists of the village of Duloe and the
hamlets of Tredinnick and Hill. The populous mining village of Herodsfoot was
originally in this parish, but it became a separate parish in 1851. Duloe
contains several old manors, of which Brodbane, Trenant, Lanwarnick,
Killigorick and Tremadart are mentioned in the Domesday Book, but few traces of
the original buildings remain.
There has been a settlement at Duloe for at least 2500 years. Early inhabitants
of this land seeking to explain the forces governing their lives built stone
circles to study the sun and the moon and offered up sacrifices to the sun the
source of nourishment. Duloe has a stone circle, a link with the earliest
settlement here. In a field some 300 yards from the church are eight white quartz stones
in a small circle of 38 ft diameter. The present setting is the result of
restoration in the last century when a burial urn of the late Bronze Age
(2000-500 B.C) was found at the base of one of the stones. The Duloe Torque, a
gold bracelet from the late Bronze Age, was found in a nearby field and is now
in the Truro County Museum. It has been suggested that the church yard was the
site of an Iron Age Fort because of the circular shape and elevation and
because Tredinnick, the neighbouring hamlet means "the town of the fort".
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- 1841. The 1841 Census of Duloe (HO107/153), Enumeration
Districts 5 and 6, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Duloe (HO107/1903), Enumeration
Districts 2a[including Herodsfoot], and 2b), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1861. The 1861 Census of Duloe (RG9/1531), Enumeration
Districts 1 [including Herodsfoot], 2 and 3 [including Herodsfoot], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Duloe (RG10/2241), Enumeration
Districts 1 [including Herodsfoot], 2 and 3 [including Herodsfoot]), is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Duloe (RG11/2287), Enumeration
Districts 1 [including Herodsfoot], 2 and 3 [including Herodsfoot], is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Duloe (RG12/1812), Enumeration
Districts 1 and 2, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SX2358 and was originally dedicated to
St Cuby and St Leonard on 15th October 1321. The present church is dedicated to
St Cuby (or Keby), who was born in Cornwall in the 5th century A.D and
was the nephew of St Nonna. He trained for the priesthood in Ireland, and
established churches, particularly in Wales, and was the founder of the
monastery of Holyhead in Anglesey.
The church contains a chancel, nave,
north chancel aisle, north aisle, and north and south transepts. The nave
arcade has four lofty four-centred arches of Pentewan stone, with pillars of
the same material. The north transept, used to be known as the Treworgy aisle,
was appropriated by the Kendall family during the early 19th century. There is
a south porch, a blocked north door, a priest's door, and a north transept
door. The tower is on the south side of the church, and adjoins the south
transept, but it has no direct communication with the church. It was originally
of three stages, but because it had developed an inclination to the north, the
uppermost stage was removed and a loft pyramidal roof of slate was substituted.
It is buttressed on the square, and contains six bells.
In 1936 St
Cuby's, and All Saints, Herodsfoot, re-joined to become the united benefice of
Duloe-with-Herodsfoot although both Parishes were still to be independent.
Since then they have shared rectors and Priests-in-Charge and very often, in
the early days of the United Benefice, a Curate who would live in the All
Saints Vicarage and have particular responsibility for the village.
St Cuby's Well lies on the right hand side of the road to Looe, past the old
rectory (now called Duloe Manor) The inner chamber is of ancient date and the
steps down into the water appear to mark it as a baptismal well. In the church
in the north transept is St Cuby's font a stone basin from an earlier well
further down the hill. It is of pre- Christian origin, and the carvings of
griffin and fish link it with purification rites.
There is a Mission Church from St Cuby's called St Mary's, which was located at Hill.
- Non-Conformist. The Association Methodists have a chapel in Duloe.
- LDS Church Records.
- The Cornwall
Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1668 - 1984, Burials 1668 - 1954,
Marriages 1668 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1607 - 1673, BTs 1607 - 1673.
- Baptisms in the parish 1686 to 1772 (Bishop's Transcripts), 1801 to 1812 and 1846 to 1911 (parish transcripts), are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1720 to 1840 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have published on CD, records of the Looe Bible Christian Circuit. These comprise baptisms 1848 to 1900. The areas cover Looe, St Keyne, St Pinnock, Lansallos, Talland St Veep, Duloe, Liskeard, Lanreath, Boconnoc, Pelynt, St Martins, and Polperro.
- Burials in the parish 1686 to 1772 (Bishop's Transcripts), and 1801 to 1837 and 1867 to 1936 (parish transcripts), are also available on-line through the OPC Search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Marriages 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book and CD formats.
The parish of Duloe has always been in the Liskeard
Registration District. There were sub-districts at Callington, Lerrin,
Liskeard and Looe. Parishes within the district are: Boconnoc, Broadoak, Callington, Calstock (1837-60), Duloe, East Looe, Lanreath, Lansallos, Lanteglos, Linkinhorne, Liskeard, Liskeard Borough, Menheniot, Morval, Pelynt, St. Cleer, St. Dominick, St. Ive, St. Keyne, St. Martin's, St. Neot, St. Pinnock, St. Veep, Southill, Talland and West Looe. The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Graylands, Dean Street, Liskeard, PL14 4AH. Tel: 01579 343442.
- ePodunk's Cornwall page - providing general, plus some historical and genealogical information, about Cornwall and its parishes, together with links (mainly relating to general sites and services, rather than ones that are specific to Cornwall or particular parishes).
- Pictures of
Duloe are available on-line.
The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Duloe ecclesiastical parish:
Apprenticeship Indentures for Duloe (1685 - 1835) can be found in the Cornwall
- Duloe parish was part of the Liskeard
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1749 to 1837), Settlement Papers (1672 to 1835) and Bastardy Bonds (1660 to
1790), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.
- Population in 1801 - 709 persons
- Population in 1811 - 821 persons
- Population in 1821 - 779 persons
- Population in 1831 - 928 persons
- Population in 1841 - 937 persons
- Population in 1851 - 1209 persons
- Population in 1861 - 1096 persons
- Population in 1871 - 1109 persons
- Population in 1881 - 600 persons
- Population in 1891 - 826 persons
- Population in 1901 - 735 persons
- Population in 1911 - 687 persons
- Population in 1921 - 609 persons
- Population in 1931 - 613 persons
- Population in 1951 - 572 persons
- Population in 1961 - 549 persons
- Population in 1971 - 585 persons
- Population in 1981 - 625 persons
- Population in 1991 - 710 persons
- Population in 2001 - 660 persons
- Population in 2011 - 704 persons
The parish comprises 5821 acres land, 8 acres of water, 18 acres of tidal
water and 47 acres of foreshore.
Return to top of page
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.