GENUKI Home page UpCornwall  Contents Contents   Nearby PlacesNearby places

Egloshayle

[View a zoomable and navigable Map of the Area provided by Multimap.]

Egloshayle (Cornish: Eglosheyl) is situated on the banks of the River Camel, in the Deanery of Trigg-Minor, and in the Hundred of Trigg. It is bounded on the north by St Minver and St Kew, on the east by St Mabyn and Helland, on the south by Bodmin, and on the west by St Breock from which it is separated by the river Camel.

The name Egloshayle is Cornish for 'Church on an estuary' eglos(church} plus heyl(estuary). This parish is by the Camel river, south of Wadebridge, and contains the villages of Washaway, Ford, Sladesbridge, Gonvena, Bodieve and Egloshayle. Egloshayle was a Bronze Age settlement and a river port; it was also a trading port rivalling Padstow a little over five miles down river. The trade consisted of tin, clay, wool, corn and vegetable crops. It is now a busy rural village. A bridge which links it to the town of Wadebridge was originally built by a 15th century vicar who considered the ferry crossing too hazardous. Because it was built on sand it was continually being washed away by the tide, but the problem was eventually solved by building the foundations of the bridge on bales of wool.

Towards the end of the 19th century the town of Wadebridge was growing fast, and was straddling two Parishes, namely St Breock and Egloshayle, which was causing some problems with regards to the day-to-day running of the Town's affairs. In 1898, the two civil parishes united to form the Wadebridge Urban District Council, which continued in existence until 1934.

Cemeteries

Return to top of page

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

Return to top of page

Church History

Return to top of page

Church Records

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The parish of Egloshayle, together with the town of Wadebridge, is in the Bodmin Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837; there were sub-districts are Bodmin, Egloshayle, Lanlivery and St Mabyn but these have now been abolished. Parishes within the district are: Blisland, Bodmin, Bodmin Borough, Cardinham, Egloshayle, Endellion, Helland, Lanhydrock, Lanviet, Lanlivery, Lostwithiel, Luxulion, St. Kew, St. Mabyn, St. Minver Highlands, St. Minver Lowlands, St. Tudy, St. Winnow, Temple, Wadebridge, Warleggon, Withiel.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Lyndhurst, 66 Nicholas Street, Bodmin, Cornwall, PL31 2AG. Tel: 01208 73677.

Return to top of page

Description & Travel

Return to top of page

Genealogy

Return to top of page

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Egloshayle ecclesiastical parish:

Return to top of page

Maps

Return to top of page

Merchant Marine

In 1626 Francis Bassett (of Tehidy) was charged to conduct a survey of all Ports on the North Coast of Cornwall, and to list all Mariners, Sailors and Fishermen working those Ports. An extract of that Survey, covering ONLY those men listed as: "Bargemen Belonging To The Parish of Egloseale and St Breage" (St Breock) is available.

Return to top of page

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for Egloshayle (1802 - 1813) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Return to top of page

Poorhouses, Poor Law, etc.

Return to top of page

Population

Part of Egloshayle was tranferred to civil parish of Wadebridge in 1898. In the 2001 Census, Egloshayle was enumerated as part of Wadebridge.

  • Population in 1801 - 173 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 219 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 229 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 244 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 291 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 252 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 208 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 246 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 223 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 200 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 182 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 205 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 199 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 219 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 195 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 189 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 126 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 105 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 160 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 371 persons (6531 persons in Wadebridge)
  • Population in 2011 - 465 persons (6636 persons in Wadebridge)

Return to top of page

Societies

The Wadebridge Old Cornwall Society News Page is on-line.

Return to top of page

Statistics

The parish comprised 5285 acres of land, 14 acres of water, 22 acres of tidal water and 122 acres of foreshore.

Return to top of page


Find Help, report problems, or contribute information.
Valid HTML 4.0! GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the charitable trust GENUKI. Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]

Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.


Copyright and Disclaimer

  • The information on the GENUKI (www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices, etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers, and hence threaten its whole future.

  • Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use, and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any claim, loss or damage as a consequence.

  • GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only. We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable, our only recourse is to remove that link.

Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark of the charitable trust GENUKI - see About GENUKI as an Organisation.