Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Egloskerry

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Egloskerry

The parish of Egloskerry (Cornish: Egloskerri), otherwise Egloscruc), is situated in the Deanery of Trigg Major and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by the River Attery which separates it from the parish of North Petherwin, on the east by St Stephen-by-Launceston, and St Thomas-by-Launceston, on the south by Trewen and Laneast, and on the west by Laneast and Tresmere. The name is Cornish for 'Church of Keri'. This saint is believed to be female and one of the 24 children of the Welsh king Broccan.

The parish is about 5 miles south-west of Launceston and consists of the village of Egloskerry and many outlying hamlets and farms. Besides the Churchtown, these include Tregeare, Badharlick, and Trebeath. Penheale Manor dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086, but the architecture of the house today is mainly 17th and 20th century. The estate still farms a considerable area of land.

Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)

Cemeteries

Census

Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family History Society offers a census search service for its members.

Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:

  • 1841.
    • The 1841 Census of Egloskerry (HO107/134), Enumeration District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
    • The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film No. 241258.
  • 1851. The 1851 Census of Egloskerry (HO107/1899), Enumeration Districts 4a and 4b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1861.
    • The 1861 Census of Egloskerry (RG9/1518) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project. The enumeration districts of the parish for this census cannot be determined.
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: 1861 Census for this parish, which is available in Book format.
  • 1871. The 1871 Census of Egloskerry (RG10/2223), Enumeration Districts 4b and 5a, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1881. The 1881 Census of Egloskerry (RG11/2275), Enumeration Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
  • 1891. The 1891 Census of Egloskerry (RG12/1802), Enumeration Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Egloskerry area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

  • Anglican. The parish church is located in OS Grid Square SX2786 and was originally dedicated to St Ide and St Lydy on 14th September 1260. It was rededicated to St Keria in 1506. The church comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north transept. The arcade has five four-centred arches of granite with monolith pillars. There is a south porch and a blocked north door. The tower, the door of which is dated 1691, is of three stages, and finished with battlements and pinnacles; it is 59 feet in height.
  • Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in the Churchtown.

Church Records

  • LDS Church Records
    • The LDS Church batch numbers for Egloskerry are: C022531/2/3, E022532, M022532. These are searchable by surname.
    • The IGI coverage of this parish is 1576 - 1875; it is NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International Genealogical Index (IGI).
  • The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1576 - 1874, Burials 1573 - 1909, Marriages 1574 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1574 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812.
  • Baptisms.
    • Baptisms 1576 to 1874 (erratically kept), are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1684 to 1845 for this parish and are available to purchase on Parish Chest.
  • Banns. Banns 1755 to 1783 (Phillimore's) and 1824 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
  • Marriages.
  • Burials.
    • Burials 1576 to 1909 (erratically kept in the 19th century), are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
    • The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.

Civil Registration

The parish of Egloskerry is in the Launceston Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837. There were sub-districts at Altarnun, Launceston, North Hill, North Petherwin and St Stephen-by-Launceston, but these are now all closed. Parishes within the district were: Altarnun, Boyton, Egloskerry, Laneast, Launceston, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, Northill, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephens by Launceston, St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Street, South Petherwin, Stokeclimsland, Tremaine, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Trewen, Warbstow.

The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Hendra, Dunheved Road, Launceston, PL15 9JG. Tel: 01566 772464.

You can see pictures of Egloskerry which are provided by:

Genealogy

OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.

Historical Geography

The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Egloskerry ecclesiastical parish:

You can see the administrative areas in which Egloskerry has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Egloskerry to another place.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SX270860 (Lat/Lon: 50.647870, -4.448488), Egloskerry which are provided by:

Occupations

Apprenticeship Indentures for Egloskerry (1687 - 1820) can be found in the Cornwall Record Office.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

  • Egloskerry parish was part of the Launceston Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
  • Overseers' Accounts (1682 to 1683, 1714 to 1733 and 1742), Settlement Papers (1713 to 1801) and Bastardy Bonds (1627 to 1774), are available in the Cornwall Record Office.

Population

  • Population in 1801 - 307 persons
  • Population in 1811 - 395 persons
  • Population in 1821 - 436 persons
  • Population in 1831 - 537 persons
  • Population in 1841 - 552 persons
  • Population in 1851 - 534 persons
  • Population in 1861 - 532 persons
  • Population in 1871 - 431 persons
  • Population in 1881 - 433 persons
  • Population in 1891 - 470 persons
  • Population in 1901 - 406 persons
  • Population in 1911 - 366 persons
  • Population in 1921 - 366 persons
  • Population in 1931 - 378 persons
  • Population in 1951 - 333 persons
  • Population in 1961 - 292 persons
  • Population in 1971 - 293 persons
  • Population in 1981 - 275 persons
  • Population in 1991 - 337 persons
  • Population in 2001 - 374 persons
  • Population in 2011 - 409 persons

Statistics

The parish comprises 3253 acres of land and 9 acres water.