The parish of Egloskerry (Cornish: Egloskerri), otherwise Egloscruc), is situated in the
Deanery of Trigg Major and Hundred of East. It is bounded on the north by the
River Attery which separates it from the parish of North Petherwin, on the east
by St Stephen-by-Launceston, and St Thomas-by-Launceston, on the south by
Trewen and Laneast, and on the west by Laneast and Tresmere. The name is
Cornish for 'Church of Keri'. This saint is believed to be female and one
of the 24 children of the Welsh king Broccan.
The parish is about 5
miles south-west of Launceston and consists of the village of Egloskerry and
many outlying hamlets and farms. Besides the Churchtown, these include
Tregeare, Badharlick, and Trebeath. Penheale Manor dates back to the Domesday
Book of 1086, but the architecture of the house today is mainly 17th and 20th
century. The estate still farms a considerable area of land.
Most parish and church description(s) on these pages are from Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall by J Polsue (Truro, 1867 - 1873)
Census information for this parish (1841 - 1901) is held in the
Cornwall Record Office. The Cornwall Family
History Society offers a census search service for its members. The Cornwall Family History Society have also published on-line census detail by surname on the FamilyHistoryonLine site.
Specific census information for this parish is available as follows:
- The 1841 Census of Egloskerry (HO107/134), Enumeration
District 4, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- The 1841 census for this parish has also been filmed by the LDS church - film
- 1851. The 1851 Census of Egloskerry (HO107/1899), Enumeration
Districts 4a and 4b, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- The 1861 Census of Egloskerry (RG9/1518) is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project. The enumeration districts of the parish for this census cannot be determined.
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: 1861 Census for this parish, which is available in Book format.
- 1871. The 1871 Census of Egloskerry (RG10/2223), Enumeration
Districts 4b and 5a, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census project.
- 1881. The 1881 Census of Egloskerry (RG11/2275), Enumeration
Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- 1891. The 1891 Census of Egloskerry (RG12/1802), Enumeration
Districts 4 and 5, is available on-line from the Cornwall Online Census
- Anglican. The parish
church is located in OS Grid Square SX2786 and was originally dedicated to
St Ide and St Lydy on 14th September 1260. It was rededicated to St Keria in
1506. The church comprises a chancel, nave, south aisle, and north transept.
The arcade has five four-centred arches of granite with monolith pillars. There
is a south porch and a blocked north door. The tower, the door of which is
dated 1691, is of three stages, and finished with battlements and pinnacles; it
is 59 feet in height.
- Non-Conformist. There was a Wesleyan Methodist chapel in the
- LDS Church Records
- The LDS Church batch numbers for Egloskerry are: C022531/2/3, E022532, M022532. These are searchable by surname.
- The IGI coverage of this parish is 1576 - 1875; it is
NOT believed to be fully included in the LDS Church's International
Genealogical Index (IGI).
- The Cornwall Record Office holdings: Baptisms 1576 - 1874, Burials 1573 - 1909,
Marriages 1574 - 1837, Boyd's Marriage Index 1574 - 1812, Pallot's Marriage Index 1790 - 1812.
- Baptisms 1576 to 1874 (erratically kept), are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornish Forefathers' Society have published on CD, baptisms 1684 to 1845 for this parish.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, records of the Launceston wesleyan Circuit. These include baptisms (1837-1900); the areas cover Launceston, South Petherwin, Lewannick, North Hill, Altarnun, Linkinhorne, St Stephens, Lezant, Egloskerry, Egloskerry, Treneglos, Stoke Climsland, Laneast and Lawhitton.
- Banns. Banns 1755 to 1783 (Phillimore's) and 1824 to 1911, are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- Burials 1576 to 1909 (erratically kept in the 19th century), are available on-line through the OPC search Facility - (C-PROP).
- The Cornwall Family History Society have published transcripts of: Parish Burials 1813 to 1837, which is available in Book format.
- Cornwall Legacy have also published on CD, records of the Launceston wesleyan Circuit. These comprise burials (1818-1880) and St Thomas Wesleyan Burials (1842- 1892). The areas cover Launceston, South Petherwin, Lewannick, North Hill, Altarnun, Linkinhorne, St Stephens, Lezant, Egloskerry, Egloskerry, Treneglos, Stoke Climsland, Laneast and Lawhitton.
The parish of Egloskerry is in the Launceston
Registration District, and has been since 1st July 1837. There were
sub-districts at Altarnun, Launceston, North Hill, North Petherwin and St
Stephen-by-Launceston, but these are now all closed. Parishes within the district were: Altarnun, Boyton, Egloskerry, Laneast, Launceston, Lawhitton, Lewannick, Lezant, Northill, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Stephens by Launceston, St. Thomas the Apostle, St. Thomas Street, South Petherwin, Stokeclimsland, Tremaine, Treneglos, Tresmeer, Trewen, Warbstow.
The Superintendant Registrar can be contacted at: Hendra, Dunheved Road, Launceston, PL15 9JG. Tel: 01566 772464.
Pictures of Egloskerry are available on-line.
OPC Assistance. The On-line Parish Clerk (OPC) scheme operates a service to help family historians; the OPC page for this parish is available on-line, from where the OPC can be contacted by email.
The Domesday Settlements of Cornwall, a study undertaken by the Cornwall Branch of the Historical Association, has identified and located settlements listed in the Exeter and Exchequer Domesday Survey of AD 1086. The following places have been identified in Egloskerry ecclesiastical parish:
Apprenticeship Indentures for Egloskerry (1687 - 1820) can be found in the
Cornwall Record Office.
- Egloskerry parish was part of the Launceston
Union for Poor Law administration and parish relief.
- Overseers' Accounts (1682 to 1683, 1714 to 1733 and 1742), Settlement Papers (1713 to 1801) and
Bastardy Bonds (1627 to 1774), are available in the Cornwall
- Population in 1801 - 307 persons
- Population in 1811 - 395 persons
- Population in 1821 - 436 persons
- Population in 1831 - 537 persons
- Population in 1841 - 552 persons
- Population in 1851 - 534 persons
- Population in 1861 - 532 persons
- Population in 1871 - 431 persons
- Population in 1881 - 433 persons
- Population in 1891 - 470 persons
- Population in 1901 - 406 persons
- Population in 1911 - 366 persons
- Population in 1921 - 366 persons
- Population in 1931 - 378 persons
- Population in 1951 - 333 persons
- Population in 1961 - 292 persons
- Population in 1971 - 293 persons
- Population in 1981 - 275 persons
- Population in 1991 - 337 persons
- Population in 2001 - 374 persons
- Population in 2011 - 409 persons
The parish comprises 3253 acres of land and 9 acres water.
Help, report problems, or contribute information.
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI.
Copyright © GENUKI 2001-2013
[Last updated: 26th March 2013 - Ian Argall]
Are you lost in the GENUKI hierarchy or arrived here from a Search Engine?
If so, use the up-arrow(s) at the top of the page to go up the hierarchy.
Copyright and Disclaimer
- The information on the GENUKI
(www.genuki.org.uk/) website must not be used for commercial
purposes, and all specific restrictions concerning usage, copyright notices,
etc., that are to be found on individual information pages within GENUKI
must be strictly adhered to. Violation of these rules could gravely harm
the cooperation that GENUKI is obtaining from many information providers,
and hence threaten its whole future.
- Whilst we take every care to keep the information on our
web pages accurate, we disclaim any warranty or representation, express
or implied about its accuracy, completeness or appropriateness for a
particular purpose. Thus, you assume full responsibility for its use,
and you understand and agree that neither GENUKI as an organisation nor
any of its maintainers or providers are responsible or liable for any
claim, loss or damage as a consequence.
- GENUKI contains many hyperlinks and directives to sites
developed by others. They are provided for your convenience only.
We do not control nor guarantee the accuracy, relevance,
timeliness, or completeness of such sites, and in the event
of a link to such a site being 'broken', or otherwise unavailable,
our only recourse is to remove that link.
Thank you for your cooperation. GENUKI is a registered trademark
of the charitable trust GENUKI - see
About GENUKI as an Organisation.